Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LoffKat

LoffKat

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:04 PM

I am in a corporate network and have a chrome device which is experiencing incredibly slow internet speeds, almost to the point of being unable to work.  I've tested the user's patch cables and run to the switch with the trendnet tc-nt2 and everything passed.  However, as soon as I switched the patch cable from the wall to the chrome device, the browsing speed increased significantly.  Any ideas on why that might be happening?  The user's chrome device has all extensions and apps disabled currently and has been factory reset but still has the same issue.  Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:46 PM

"However, as soon as I switched the patch cable from the wall to the chrome device, the browsing speed increased significantly."

That would indicate a bad /damaged wall outlet or wiring to me.

#3 LoffKat

LoffKat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 08:46 AM

That's what I thought as well, but everything tested fine using the tester I have.  

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 06:55 PM

The connection may have been lose. In general after testing the cable, bend the locking tab up before reconnecting to the patch panel or device. This will ensure the connection is tight against the pins in the port. If the cable to the Device was run over by a chair, Stretched or bent around a corner it could have an internal break. You could try connecting your tester then rolling up the cable to see if any of the "Pairs" go out. 

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users