Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

multiple SSD failures and boot problems - coincidence?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 joeypruett

joeypruett

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:00 PM

Hi All -

I had three Lenovo laptops with boot problems within a couple weeks and now two SSD drives look defunct.  I'm a bit suspicious and hesitant to think that multiple SSDs failed so close together and am looking for feedback please.

The laptops are all Lenovo T440p models, one with a Muskin mSATA SSD, one with a generic M.2 SSD and one with a regular spin-ey HDD.  The problems started with a slew of Windows 8.1 and 10 boot problems and errors, then progressed to 2101 hard drive detection errors in the BIOS. 

The current behavior is that if the drives are in the laptops, the BIOS process takes several minutes.  When I put the drives in an external caddy, they appear in device manager for a minute or so, then disappear.  They never appear in disk management.  Two of the laptops have since been running fine with other Crucial SSDs and one with the spin-ey drive.  All three had BIOS updates after the failures. 

May just be two bad drives, but to me the similarities are interesting and the timing of the events make me wonder if I'm missing something.  Below are some of the messages I received when trying to troubleshoot.

Thanks for your time.

Joey

"Preparing automatic repair"

Your PC needs to be repaired

The operating system couldn't be loaded because a critical system driver is missing or contains errors.

File: \windows\system32\drivers\EhStorClass.sys

Error code:  0x0000098

… use recovery tools

Nothing worked. 

Also file: \windows system32\config\system

Error code:  0x0000185

Boot from USB recovery drive - no options to choose between OS, but, there is an option to "go back to previous build" 

• This did not work

Reset this PC

• Did not work - the drive where windows is installed is locked, unlock the drive and try again

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:36 PM

The craze with SSD drives is evident but no real procedures and proper care and feeding has been disseminated to the public.  The number one failure I've seen is the inherent process used to zero out and rewrite the data on the drive.  The problem comes from the need to use a slightly higher voltage to "null" the bit and rewrite it.  The process can also degrade adjacent bits and can cascade into whole blocks, then sectors.  It only takes one faulty bit to crash things so the users need to be aware of the hazards of rewriting as an ongoing procedure.

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,622 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:45 PM

Just test them. Seatools for DOS works great.

Go here and download Seatools For DOS (free)
http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

Accept the EULA and download the ISO file.
When download is complete burn the ISO to a CD or DVD.
Make sure your BIOS is set to:   1st Boot Device = CD drive, 2nd Boot Device = Hard Drive.
When the program opens, click the upper left corner for the Long Test.
> Note: if you get a pop-up window telling you that SMART has tripped and asking if you want to continue, choose Yes. Be sure to post that in your next reply along with the result of the test.
At the end of the test, you will get either a Pass or Fail notice. Post the result in your next reply.
Be sure to have your SSD drive directly installed internally to the motherboard, not in an external case.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 joeypruett

joeypruett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 04:10 PM

The drives do not appear in Seatools for DOS.  I've tried connecting them via a USB dock and an eSATA doc.  I suspect there may have been something about the laptop that accelerated or caused the two drives to fail.  Or, it was just a coincidence.  Towel thrown in.

Thanks for your prompt response.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users