Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I revert from Windows 10 to Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RuddyDuck

RuddyDuck

• Validating
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:08 AM

I am having frustrations with some of the changed behaviors of my favorite application programs (the latest Firefox, XMarks, etc. ) under Win 7.  What is the procedure, please, to revert back to Win 7?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:18 AM

I am having frustrations with some of the changed behaviors of my favorite application programs (the latest Firefox, XMarks, etc. ) under Win 7.  What is the procedure, please, to revert back to Win 7?

Why would you want to go beack to Windows 7 if you having problems using certain applications "under Win 7?" 

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 Ctrl-Alt-Defeat

Ctrl-Alt-Defeat

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:21 AM

Did you perform an Upgrade (is there a Windows.old folder on the drive?) or clean install of Windows 10?

If it was an Upgrade, you can click on Settings in the Start Menu, then Update & security, then Recovery.

There'll be a "Go back to Windows 7" option here. Click Get started and the rest should be automated.

This will only work if you haven't used Disk Cleanup to remove old installation data though.

#4 1029rjmenvy17t

1029rjmenvy17t

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:22 AM

Hello,

​I am taking this as you meant under Windows 10 and the changed behaviors came with windows 10 correct? 

But before you go back please let us know what's wrong and I am sure me and other members would love to help you :thumbup2:

Edited by 1029rjmenvy17t, 27 August 2015 - 07:25 AM.

#5 RuddyDuck

RuddyDuck
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:38 AM

Did you perform an Upgrade (is there a Windows.old folder on the drive?) or clean install of Windows 10?

If it was an Upgrade, you can click on Settings in the Start Menu, then Update & security, then Recovery.

There'll be a "Go back to Windows 7" option here. Click Get started and the rest should be automated.

This will only work if you haven't used Disk Cleanup to remove old installation data though.

Thank you.  I'm trying that now, on one of the two computers that I "upgraded" from Win 7 to Win 10.  While that is happening, I still have the other computer running Win 10, on which I am typing this.

#6 RuddyDuck

RuddyDuck
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:40 AM

Why would you want to go beack to Windows 7 if you having problems using certain applications "under Win 7?" 

Oops, I meant to say, the changed behaviours of my programs from how they worked in Win 7 to how they work (or fail to work) under Win 10.

#7 1029rjmenvy17t

1029rjmenvy17t

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:44 AM

Oops, I meant to say, the changed behaviours of my programs from how they worked in Win 7 to how they work (or fail to work) under Win 10.

Hello,

What do you mean by fail to work

Like which programs are not working correctly

Sometimes small problems like this can be fixed :thumbup2:

Please let us know

Edited by 1029rjmenvy17t, 27 August 2015 - 07:49 AM.

#8 RuddyDuck

RuddyDuck
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:56 AM

Hello,

​I am taking this as you meant under Windows 10 and the changed behaviors came with windows 10 correct? 

But before you go back please let us know what's wrong and I am sure me and other members would love to help you :thumbup2:

Several problems:

I like to use an "IronKey by Imation" brand secure USB drive, with an IronKey-resident versions of Mozilla Thunderbird and Mozilla Firefox.  I use the USB-resident Thunderbird as my e-mail client, pulling e-mail using the IMAP protocol from three different e-mail accounts on different e-mail servers. I also use the Firefox browser, both running under Win 10 in my two machines ()A laptop which I am reverting to Win 7) and a desktop PC which I am still using under Win 10.  I like to use the LastPass and XMarks add-ons to Firefox.  LastPass works okay under all three platforms (laptop PC, desktop PC, and the PortableApps version on the IronKey USB stick).  I have not however, managed to get the IronKey-resident XMarks configured to synchronize over the Web with the way it is configured on the two PCs.

Also, I have been trying different VPN services, and when I tried to purchase a one-year account for another VPN, I got into a loop in which the payment page refused to recognize that I had ticked the check box to say that I agreed to their terms of service. The suggestion was that I try a different browser than Firefox.  But on the laptop PC, I couldn't even find the IE 11 browser (I had disabled it, out of privacy concerns).

So, after a steep learning curve with Win 10, I concluded that the cross-platform featuress of Win 10, with their implications for privacy, were just not worth it for me. 

As my 30-day deadline for reverting to Win 7 approached, I figured it would be best to revert to Win 7 before I lost the chance to do so.

#9 1029rjmenvy17t

1029rjmenvy17t

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:13 AM

Hello,

Ok lets start trying to get this to work.

1: Your running the Thunderbird off the USB stick with IronKey right?; ok so I would say the first thing to get this to work is install Thunderbird on the PC itself.

2: If your running Firefox those Add On's will work with windows 10 (Just make sure Firefox is installed on the PC not the USB drive. and just download Firefox from here

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/#download-fx.

You can get LastPass from here

https://lastpass.com/misc_download2.php

And XMarks here

http://www.xmarks.com/

As for VPN Services which one are trying to get?

Note: Don't worry about Win10 privacy concerns; You can turn off anything that's part of privacy in Windows 10

I can show you how to.

but its MS and there not going to do anything with whatever they collect.

most of it is just for Personalization of apps so when you go on deferent PCs it will sync everything across.

Edited by 1029rjmenvy17t, 27 August 2015 - 08:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users