Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't boot after repair

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mikl0018

mikl0018

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 06:39 AM

I own an HP Envy TouchSmart 15 Notebook PC product number: E0K05UA#ABA and Model: 15-j053cl

I had a couple plastic screw inserts that hold the right hinge to the top cover of the laptop break due to the very high strength/resistance of the hinges which caused the top cover of the laptop to pry apart from the base enclosure while opening (a problem many owners of this laptop model have had). Since I was out of warranty I ordered a replacement top cover on Ebay using the correct part number 720570-001 and disassembled my laptop to make the repairs and loosen the hinges while I was at it. I swapped out all the parts being careful to note where and how plugs and ribbons were connected so I could put it back together correctly. Now after having it reassembled it will not turn on.

I get a white LED light to turn on when I plug in the power cord AC adapter (but it should be amber/orange in color to signify it is charging the battery) but no other sounds, lights or signs of life. I have attempted to remove the battery and power cord, pressed the power button for 8-30 seconds to drain power and do a reset and then try to power up with plugging in the power cord but it wont turn on. I also tried to power up by removing one part at a time including the hard drive, two RAM sticks, and wireless card to see if one of those was the issue but am still not able to turn on. Do you have any ideas for what may be wrong or steps I can take to troubleshoot? Is this possibly a mother board issue? Everything was working fine before embarking on this repair.

Link to maintenance and service guide: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03733656

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 chigosnake

chigosnake

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:17 AM

You might have disconnected your battery from the laptop along with something else, open the laptop back up and check to see if all the wires and ribbons are connected correctly and in the right place.

Good Luck

#3 mikl0018

mikl0018
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:18 AM

The pins that connect the battery to the motherboard are right on the motherboard so I don't believe I disconnected anything to do with the battery, I could be wrong - I'll check when I get home though.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,498 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:57 AM

If you have a dead lap (IOW, no electrical power is reaching the power supply) that is where to start looking and work backwards from there to the wall socket. I don't think the battery is the problem; juice getting to the battery is the problem. The only other thing I can think of is a bad or broken-circuit power switch.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 mikl0018

mikl0018
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 08:06 AM

Thank you, what do you mean by power reaching the power supply? The AC adapter seems to be working because the white AC adapter light by the plug on the laptop turns on (but doesn't turn orange to indicate it is charging the battery) - am I missing something there? I'm not sure how to test to see if power is getting to where it needs to go on the motherboard...

Another thing I noticed last night is there is a white power light on the other side of the laptop/motherboard that came on momentarily a few times when I plugged in the power cord (but not every time - maybe just when all the power was discharged from the board?) but then went out. I also swapped the power connector cable from my original top cover to the one I am using now but that didn't do anything (the only electronic component that I haven't swapped over from the old top cover that worked is the fingerprint reader sensor). I am still unable to power on. Any thoughts? I have a power meter and could test connections if I knew what I was looking for.

Also in the manual it references a ground loop by the right hinge and I do not know what that is - the screw it points to in the manual appears to be a screw around the thin frame of the batter compartment.

Edited by mikl0018, 28 August 2015 - 08:08 AM.

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,498 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 30 August 2015 - 08:48 AM

I get a white LED light to turn on when I plug in the power cord AC adapter

I assumed the white LED light was on the adapter (your 1st post). Evidently it is on the laptop itself.

Here is a recent post from an OP that was having some of the same problems as yourself. You might find some ideas. Note the 2nd paragraph. The only other thing I can think of is a bad power switch. I know how to test for that in a desktop, but these laps are all put together differently and I am not sure how yours is set up.  You might try searching Youtube using the make & model with "no power" or somesuch. Might be surprised at what you find, there are a lot of guys out there that upload "how to" fixit videos.

Good Hunting!

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 mikl0018

mikl0018
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:55 PM

OK - sorry for the delay but I now have a working laptop :-) No parts were broken afterall, I consulted my old-school tech guru uncle and we cleaned and applied new thermal paste between the heat sink and the CPU and took out the motherboard watch battery and then after re-assembly everything works great. So I have a happy ending although I'm not sure which action resulted in the repair I hope this might help others.

Peace,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users