Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Starting Windows" then Black Screen - Can't Boot in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 RDoringo

RDoringo

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 06:23 AM

Hi All,

I've been having some problems with computer recently.  First, while gaming, my computer crashed.  I'll save you the details, but eventually it got to the point where when I would try to boot, I wouldn't even get a signal to my monitor.  I eventually guessed that the processor had failed.  I purchased a new one and installed it (along with a cooler master fan and heat sink) last night. 

But now when I try to boot up, I get the error message that windows was unable to boot.  I then have the option of either running the repair tool or starting windows normally. I've used the repair tool twice, and it hasn't worked either time.  I get the message that "startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically."  The problem event name in the log is "StartupRepairOffline."  I've also tried restoring to a point where my computer worked correctly, and that didn't work either.

When I try to start Windows normally, I get the "Starting Windows" screen, then the screen goes black.  The monitor is illuminated, but the screen remains black.  I can tell at that point also that the keyboard is unresponsive (i.e. num lock and caps lock don't work).

When I boot up, I am able to boot into BIOS, but I can't boot in safe mode.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:43 AM

Have you tried booting from the installation disk?

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 RDoringo

RDoringo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 09:47 AM

I actually don't have the installation disk, and I don't believe I ever did.  I can probably get my hands on one by Monday, but I'd prefer to see if there is another possible fix before then. Thanks

#4 RDoringo

RDoringo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:15 AM

Update:  I got a USB with Windows 7 Ultimate on it from a friend.  Installed on my computer is Windows 7 Home Premium, but I was under the impression that I could repair my computer with my friend's version of windows since they are both 64 bit.

Anyway, when I booted from the USB and attempted to repair, I got an error message stating "This version of system recovery options is not compatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair."  

Any ideas?

#5 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:45 AM

The startup repair utility on the installation disk for your version would be my first choice for repair/recovery. Not sure where/if I can find you that type of help. Maybe one of the other members here has another/better idea.

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 11:06 AM

You don't know anyone...who has a Win 7 install disk that matches your version?

You don't know anyone who built their own system...or installed Win 7 on their own system?

The suggestion to run Startup Repair...was a good one.

Processors don't fail often, IMO.  How did you make that determination?

Is the current CPU properly reflected/recognized in the BIOS?  What was old processor...what is replacement?

Louis

#7 RDoringo

RDoringo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 11:49 AM

No, I don't know anyone who has a Win 7 install disk matching my version.  The answer is no to your second question as well.  

Here are some the details of my initial crash (from an old thread)

Here's a rundown of what happened:

1. While playing a game, I got a weird screen split where my monitor basically glitched and split the screen in two. Not sure how to describe this exactly. First time this has ever happened. The sound then looped for a minute while everything went black. I did a hard reset.

2. I thought it was just the game, but the same glitch later happened in a browser. I did a hard reset.

3. I was able to then work for a couple of hours. I then decided to try to boot the same game to see if the problem would occur again. It did. This time I got a blue screen which said that the display failed to reset or something like that. I did a hard reset as the blue screen seemed to freeze as well

4. Since then, I haven't been able to do anything really. I booted again,told windows to "check for solutions", opened a browser, white screen crash, hard reset. After that reboot, things really went to hell. Now, I turn the computer on, the monitor says no signal, and my backlit keyboard seemingly is receiving no power. If I cycle the monitor's power button, things will seem to kick into gear a bit. The keyboard will get power and the monitor will get signal. The login screen will then come up. When I try to login, however, the screen just freezes black. It's becoming rare to even get that far now.

5. The bad thing is, I'm no longer even getting an opportunity to boot to bios or in safe mode because when the computer does miraculously boot, it takes me straight to windows login. I never see the mobo screen. Jamming f5 and f8 does nothing.

6. I still hear the beep and everything sounds like it's running normally. I'm just no longer getting a monitor signal at all. Last 5-6 times I've tried to turn it on, I just get nothing.

I switched out my graphics card with another one that I know works.  That did nothing to resolve the problem.  I tried removing the graphics card and running with mobo graphics, and that also didn't help.  

From there I had no idea what was wrong, so my best guess was my processor. I wanted to upgrade my processor anyway, so I bought a new one.  When I installed it, I actually was able to start my computer and get to bios, as I mentioned above.  So, I think that fixed one major problem.

The bios properly reflects the new CPU.  I purchased an AMD FX 8320 to replace an AMD Phenom. 

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 01:08 PM

FWIW:  Looking at your previous topics initiated here at BC...I have to ask if you still have the same motherboard.  You seem to have moved/replaced everything but the motherboard...and the problems seem to continue.

#9 RDoringo

RDoringo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 01:20 PM

I'm not sure which of my posts you're referencing, but my motherboard is an ASROCK 970 Extreme3.  It's not the motherboard that was in my original build.  I upgraded a couple of years back, but it is the motherboard installed when I had the problem I described above. 

#10 melipope

melipope

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 02:28 PM

can you start task manager when you get to the black screen by using Ctrl-Alt-Del?  If so , you could try to start a new tast of explorer.exe

#11 RDoringo

RDoringo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:58 PM

I am unable to start task manager.  I can't do anything but do a hard restart once the screen goes black.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:26 PM

Seems like a hardware issue, IMO...moved to Internal Hardware where the big brains operate :).

Louis

#13 RDoringo

RDoringo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:48 PM

One item I believe I left out is that I have successfully run the checkdisk utility from advance booting options a couple of times.  The utility also completes successfully and doesn't show any problems.  

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:38 PM

Checkdisk...is a Windows file system tool, it concerns itself only with the NTFS file system employed on the partition it checks...and the files stored on said partition.

It's not necessarily of any value if there is a hardware problem or a malware problem...it's kind of like a tool that straightens up the furniture when it's out of place...but it can't resolve or impact (except in a possbly negative manner) problems of a different origin.

You can interpret a successful chkdsk...as a sign that you may not have a file or Windows problem...but it won't tell you if system files are missing/damaged...it won't address malware situations...it won't address hardware situations that may exist.

Louis

#15 RDoringo

RDoringo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 07:10 AM

So, here's an update.  I purchased a new hard drive (WD Blue 1tb), completely removed the old one from the computer, and reinstalled windows.  Everything went fine with the install.  I run dual monitors and for whatever reason my computer was recognizing each monitor as monitor 1.  Thinking I might need to update by gpu drivers, I downloaded the catalyst software suite and installed the latest driver for my Radeon HD 6870 (Note: the catalyst software was unable to detect the model of my gpu, which I thought was odd).

So, after downloading the new driver, my computer needs to restart. I restart and and windows installs an update. Upon restarting, I get a black screen after the "starting windows" screen.  After a hard reset, I was able to boot into safe mode (unlike when I had my first problem), as I'm booting into safe mode, I see a message that an error with the windows update and it says that windows is reverting.

After that, I assumed that the problem was the update and not downloading the driver, and I figured that whatever windows just did should fix the problem.  I restart again and then get a black screen again after the starting windows screen. I did another hard reset, and I'm able to boot into safe mode.

At this point, can anyone offer any guidance?  Should I rollback the driver?  Or might there be some other issue?  I'll note that the computer now recognizes by gpu model.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users