Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

black screen of death with cursor - vista

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 tanya1984

tanya1984

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 06:06 AM

hi all. thanks in advance for your help.

i may be barking up the wrong tree but i am trying to fix the issue in the title by following the instructions in the screenshot ive posted. im stuck though. How do i apply these changes?
ive attached a screenshot of where im up to.
thanks again

Windows Vista
Vista was the OEM version
5 years old maybe, OS same age
Dell Inspiron Laptop

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tanya1984

tanya1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 06:11 AM

additional info -

following a windows update i was seeing errors on startup that pertained to apple products. i deleted all apple products and then saw a different error. i did a system restore and now have the BSOD.

i could not access any safe mode or command prompt.

i have found the original vista disk and can use it to access command prompt.

i have tried system restore but all system restore points have disappeared.

i have tried to use the disk to "upgrade" windows but the upgrade option is greyed out :(

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:36 AM

I really hope that you've saved a backup of your registry or have a System Restore point that you can go back to.

The registry likely isn't the place (directly) to fix this problem.

Let's try looking at these reports:

1)  Please provide this information (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 tanya1984

tanya1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:13 AM

Hi USASMA

thanks for taking the time to reply, i hugely appreciate it.

Please excuse my ignorance but how do i run those programs from command prompt?

every time i try to boot windows i get a black screen with a cursor i can move. the only way i can do anything at all is to boot from the cd that came with the pc and choose repair windows. 

i have tried every option and nothing works. last known good config, system restore tells me there are no restore points which is baffling me. 

also my " key comes up as @ and vice versa. is this indicative of a virus?

my apologies for the delay in responding, i've been away for a few days. largely to escape the stress of dealing with this issue! :)

i haven't made any registry changes, i just found a potential fix on a MS forum but got to the screens i posted and realized i was in over my head and changed nothing.

if i buy a windows 7 disk would that allow me to upgrade from a broken vista and keep my files?

i don't think i am experiencing unexplained shutdowns, the black screen stays on until the screen saver appears and will stay on for however long i leave it on.

thanks

NB i am posting this from my wife's laptop. 

#5 tanya1984

tanya1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:26 AM

ps thanks for the link to the BSOD pinned post. 

I did go there first but i don't know how to download and run the utilities it mentions from the command prompt. i've only ever used windows. 

i have tried typing run eventvwr.msc into the command prompt but i had no luck

thanks again for your time and patience 

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:13 AM

Don't worry, we'll work through this together.

As you can't get past the black screen, but can get to a command prompt - I'm a bit confused.

Could you explain this in a bit more detail?

FWIW - at work we try some diagnostics and then System Restore to fix the problems.

If they don't work, we move on to a backup, wipe, and reinstall of the operating system.

You can work on these problems (black screens) for weeks/months and still not fix them.  Also, we rarely did end up fixing them - we just spent weeks/months trying, then ended  up wiping them.

The upgrade installer (for W7) launches from within Windows - so you won't be able to do it that way.

The best bet here (IMO) is to backup your data and then try System Restore.

If that doesn't work, then it's time to either reinstall Vista - or upgrade to a clean copy of W7 (if your system will support it).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 tanya1984

tanya1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:36 AM

i can access command prompt by -

inserting the windows vista disk that came with the laptop.

pressing F12 for boot options during startup.

and selecting boot from dvd drive 

in the repair windows options i can choose command prompt

i have managed to save my documents and pictures to a portable hard drive using the xcopy command (after much googling)

my concern is that i (stupidly) saved a lot of shortcuts to folders in google chrome. and i would really like to be able to access those. i am trying to write a book and they are links to material i need :(

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:43 PM

Google Chrome is able to be backed up by copying it from your AppData folder.
I can't recall off the top of my head, but I believe (and Google tells me) it's in C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default folder

#9 tanya1984

tanya1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 04:40 PM

thank you so much, i will try to retrieve the files tomorrow morning.

the laptop did just switch off and come back on. this time it came up with an error message which reads -

"wireless configuration - notification dll has not been registered, program will not work correctly."

is that something that might help?

thanks again

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:51 PM

It may help, but as I described previously - you can spend weeks trying different things to fix this and still accomplish nothing.

Once you've saved everything that you need, the easiest thing would be to reinstall the OS and start over again fresh.

#11 tanya1984

tanya1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 12:08 PM

ok. thanks to you i've managed to find all my URL's in the google chrome folders.

that's brilliant. thank you muchly :)

i've decided to do what you recommend and just start again and reinstall the OS :(

One last question before i go?

i now have all the URL's on a word document among 400 pages of code. is it possible to run a macro to find them all and copy them to a separate document?

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 04:46 AM

You'll have to post over in the software forums for solutions for that question:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/78/software/

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users