Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Favorites,files from labtop went into our new desktop computer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 evlwhtman

evlwhtman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 04:17 AM

We need help!  We bought a new desktop computer, Intel I7, was setting it up, my wife was on her laptop at the time and all of her favorites and files are now in the new desktop computer and the laptop is now the new computer.  How do we correct this, Can you help???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 06:33 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

I believe - or at least I hope - your description of the problem is not quite accurate !  I have set up many computers with my own on and using the same network without ever swapping files between one and the other. This allows me to do something useful on my computer while the other is, for example, downloading and installing windows updates. More to the point I cannot imagine a mechanism to allow this to happen accidentally.

Is it possible that you mean the desktop is identifying itself as 'Laptop' and the laptop is identifying itself as 'Desktop' ?  If it is, it is reasonably easy to change the computers' names.

If the situation is as you describe then you are going to need an external drive to move the files to and then transfer back to the computers they should be on.

If you are using Firefox, to back up and copy your bookmarks, click 'Bookmarks', click 'Show all bookmarks' then in the middle top of the box that jumps out you will see 'Import and backup' , click this and choose 'Export bookmarks to HTML' and follow the remaining prompts to choose a file location where you can find it. Importing them is the reverse of this business.

In IE, select 'File' then 'Import and Export'. At the next screen choose 'Export to a file' and follow the prompts until you are asked where to save the file. Again choose somewhere where you can find. Open it in the other computer and all the bookmarks/favourites will be back where they should be. If you don't see a 'File' command in IE RIGHT click on any of the gray part of the top of the screen and click on 'Menu bar'.

Post back if you need more information or help.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:08 AM

Favorites just don't fly from one system to another. 

Did you transfer them via the Network or a USB device?

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users