Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disc read error upon booting

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 carbin

carbin

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 02:28 AM

Hello all, Today I tried installing a Linux mint os to dual boot with my current XP os, however during the install process the Linux installer gave me some error messages so I quit the install. After trying to reboot into windows I get the " disc read error". I have a recovery disc cd so booted that and ran "check disc /r /p" as per the the instructions on this site but that did not help. then I ran fixboot and fixmbr but that also did not help.  Any advice on what to do next would be greatly appreciated.   Thank you in advance.

Edited by hamluis, 27 August 2015 - 04:26 AM.
Moved from XP to Linux - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 04:52 AM

Hi carbin :welcome: to BC.

How exactly did you install Linux, Did you click along side Windows? Did you do any partitioning?

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 carbin

carbin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:09 AM

Thanks for the reply Nickau,  Yes I tried to install along side windows, I did not do any partitioning on my own. Since my last post I successfully installed an older version of Linux mint (17.1) and that installed and seems to be working ok, After the install and during reboot I cannot see the grub menu that would let me choose the operating system because during that time (bootup) my monitor goes to sleep and does some adjusting and after that I am booted up into the Mint OS.

So could you first help me either extend the length of time  the grub menu is displayed at startup of somehow prevent my monitor from "adjusting' at bootup.  Thank you for you help and please keep in mind I am not real smart with Linux or computers in general. 

#4 carbin

carbin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:29 AM

Ok so I just plugged in an different monitor and I received no complaints about the monitor and now my grub menu is visible at  boot up. However I am back to the same problem, when I try to boot the Windows OS all I get is a black screen with a blinking line.

#5 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,692 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 09:09 AM

First thing to do is try updating grub to see if that fixes the problem. To update grub, boot up Mint then run this command in a terminal:

sudo update-grub

#6 carbin

carbin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 09:37 AM

OK, thanks for sticking with me!!! I ran the update grub command and it found the Linux sys and mem test and also listed/ found the Windows XP OS, however directly above the Windows XP line on the output of the command line I saw this "no volume groups found", hope that helps!!!  

#7 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,692 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:46 AM

Next thing I would try is Boot-Repair, which is designed to repair grub.

I've never had cause to use it, but it looks straightforward enough. You can either burn it to a CD or live USB and boot your computer with it, or else install it to Mint then run it. Instructions for both options are on this page:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

(It doesn't matter that these instructions are for Ubuntu, as Mint is based on Ubuntu and they both use the same bootloader)

#8 carbin

carbin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:25 PM

I will give this a try, however I did a few searches online and  the one thread I read kind of pertained to my case, it noted something to the effect of my original XP setup already had a small recovery partition (which mine did have) and that had gotten wiped out during Linux install. Does that help?? thanks again for your help so far..  

#9 carbin

carbin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 02:24 PM

Thanks for the advice, I ran "boot repair" and it stated it sucessfully repaired grub, however this did not fix my issue which is not being able to boot into Windows. Any further help would be appreciated.

#10 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,692 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 03:34 PM

my original XP setup already had a small recovery partition (which mine did have) and that had gotten wiped out during Linux install. Does that help??

Aha, this sounds like a Windows problem. It's possible that that partition contained boot files. Hopefully there will be a way to recreate it, or to add the boot files to your main Windows partition using your recovery CD.

Once you can boot into Windows again, hopefully running Boot-Repair will fix Grub. If not, please start another thread in this forum and we can repair it using the Mint DVD.

I'll ask a moderator to move this thread back to the XP forum. Good luck!

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 04:59 PM

It's NOT "a Windows problem" if installing Linux (correctly or incorrectly) overwrote the XP boot files or damaged them.

If you don't know how to properly advise the OP how to achieve his original goal, (dual-booting linux with XP)...then it becomes "a Windows problem" only because the OP has no option to dual-boot...by virtue of the botched linux install effort.

It becomes "a Windows problem" only because the linux install effort botched things up.

If someone here can explain to the OP...what went wrong with his linux install effort...what may have happened, what did happen...then the OP would realize that he cannot go back to XP by any method other than clean install...with a valid XP install disk and valid license.

Louis

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,238 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 06:03 PM

Hi carbin

Can you please boot into Linux and run this command in terminal.

sudo lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE,SIZE,MOUNTPOINT,LABEL

Then copy and paste the output here.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

#13 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,692 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 06:10 PM

If you don't know how to properly advise the OP how to achieve his original goal, (dual-booting linux with XP)...then it becomes "a Windows problem"

It became a Windows problem before any advice was asked for or given on how to achieve the original goal, so knowledge regarding how to do it is irrelevant.

only because the OP has no option to dual-boot...by virtue of the botched linux install effort.

It becomes "a Windows problem" only because the linux install effort botched things up.

That's exactly what happened.

If someone here can explain to the OP...what went wrong with his linux install effort...what may have happened, what did happen...then the OP would realize that he cannot go back to XP by any method other than clean install...with a valid XP install disk and valid license.

The first thing the OP needs to do is to fix Windows. Going by your advice on Windows, this will require a clean install. That is advice that I would have thought should be given in the Windows forum.

I can only assume that the "recovery partition" that was overwritten must have contained some boot files, but I don't know for sure so I'll wait for someone who knows more about XP to respond. My installation of XP doesn't have a separate boot partition.

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,238 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:26 PM

..then the OP would realize that he cannot go back to XP by any method other than clean install...

A clean install? You may be right but lets not put the horse before the cart, I would like to see what partitions are there before making such a big call. The Windows partition may in fact be undamaged, It may be something as simple as the drive is not flagged as boot, or that grub is broken, But without more information I have no way of knowing.

Yes I agree the Linux install was botched, so now lets all work together to try and help the OP fix his PC and get at least 1 operating system running.

Arch Linux .

#15 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 09:07 PM

Thanks for the advice, I ran "boot repair" and it stated it sucessfully repaired grub, however this did not fix my issue which is not being able to boot into Windows. Any further help would be appreciated.

A long shot but when you run Boot Repair, at the end, the utility gives you an individual link with a report on your PC which it uploads to paste.ubuntu.com/XXXXX  The report gives information that is helpful to anyone trying to help you (such as information about your partition layout, any flags set on partitions, etc.).  I don't suppose you noted that URL?

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users