Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

free windows 10 update

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 johnny vee

johnny vee

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:53 AM

hi all, just wondering how to get rid of that annoying icon that pops up all the time. I have no intention of upgrading for free to windows 10. I have tried to uninstall but for the world of me I cannot find anything that leads me to that annoyance. any help would be appreciated. cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Introvertism

Introvertism

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 02:51 AM

(KB3035583) Is the update, I would recommend uninstalling it and hiding it so it doesn't auto install again.

Guide quoted from another site;

To remove KB3035583, first open Windows Update and click “Installed Updates” in the bottom-left corner.

ximg_556ddde249634.png.pagespeed.ic.uBt7

To quickly find KB3035583, you can sort by name. Once you’ve located it, right-click and choose “Uninstall”.

ximg_556de0e058017.png.pagespeed.ic.CmpV

When you select to uninstall this update, you’ll be asked to confirm and then you will need to restart your computer.

ximg_556de29485366.png.pagespeed.ic.epe1

Once your computer restarts, the “GWX.exe” and its associated “GWXUX.exe” applications will be removed and the system tray icon and resulting dialog will go away permanently.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 05:28 AM

Once uninstalled, you need to check for updates manually, and then review them to see it in the list. From there, you can right-click on it and select Hide. However, it'll appear again if the update is reissued by Microsoft, and that one (KB3035583) is reissued quite often.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 02:00 PM

You also need to uninstall KB3044374, if you have it. Uninstall it by the same method.

After uninstalling both KB3044374 and KB3035583 make sure to set updates to "check automatically but ask me whether I want to download", this way you can make sure that when KB3035583 and KB3044374 are reoffered they won't be able to install themselves in future.

Sometimes hiding is not enough to prevent the update installing again, because it unhides itself every time it is re-issued in a slightly altered form, you need to make sure your approval stands between updates and installation so that you can make sure to uncheck these from the list every time they are reinstalled.

Set updates so they cannot install until you have given those you want the ok to do so and make sure to check "windows update" in "control panel" every wednesday morning and see what updates are being offered to you, tick the security ones( named "Security Update for ..." )and install those, untick these ones relating to windows 10, and for the rest, tick or untick individually after assessing which are worth having by loking at their "more infromation" links.

GWX.exe and GWXUX.exe might remain behind but with the updates uninstalled they should not be able to run, if they do continue to cause trouble (Which they almost certainly won't once you uninstall those updates and ensure they can't be installed again in future) then the files can be renamed to prevent their execution, but it is not straightforward do this, it carries some risks and any user in a position wishing to do this must make a system image first. Such renaming (as complete as deletion as far as the OS is concerned, also equally risky, but unlike deletion renaming is reversible by the user) of any remaining files, and sometimes no gwx related files will remain at all, should generally not be needed, but there are ways it can be done if absolutely required.

Edited by rp88, 27 August 2015 - 02:05 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 02:37 PM

if they do continue to cause trouble (Which they almost certainly won't once you uninstall those updates and ensure they can't be installed again in future) then the files can be renamed to prevent their execution, but it is not straightforward do this, it carries some risks and any user in a position wishing to do this must make a system image first. Such renaming (as complete as deletion as far as the OS is concerned, also equally risky, but unlike deletion renaming is reversible by the user) of any remaining files, and sometimes no gwx related files will remain at all, should generally not be needed, but there are ways it can be done if absolutely required.

Simply do not do this, do not rename any system files, nor delete them. If you do that, you could end up with corrupt system files, Windows Update, not working, etc. The rest is fine.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 joshuals

joshuals

• Members
  • 433 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:51 PM

If you simply want to stop the popups without uninstalling anything you could do the following

• In the System Tray click the little up-arrow to the left of the icons
  • Click <Customize>
  • In the resulting GUI find GWX in the list of icons
  • In the dropdown box to the right of GWX select <Hide Icon and Notifications>
  • Click OK to close the GUI

This way, should you change our mind about Windows10, you simply have to reverse the steps above.  I've had no popups since I performed this action and the Win10 Icon no longer shows in the System Tray

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:56 PM

I've had no popups since I performed this action and the Win10 Icon no longer shows in the System Tray

It'll show in the extended view of the icon tray so it isn't totally true :P

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users