Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this book too outdated?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ubiq

Ubiq

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:45 PM

Hi! :hello:

I'm a newbie looking for a beginner book on building a pc.

Would the one below be a good one for me? Is it too outdated to even give me the basics? Why or why not?

Also, if making another (very welcome :flowers: ) title suggestion , please keep in mind that I'm looking for a hard copy.

Very weirdly, I hate reading long books in any electronic format, and I'm looking for something I can shove in my purse and read on the train, etc. No ebook suggestions, please. That's part of why I'm posting this. Most of the suggestions I've seen in other forums have been for ebooks which I like as references, but Kindle gives me a migraine so ebooks are Reference Only for me. 
Thank you!! :love4u:

http://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-Own-PC-Dummies/dp/0470196114/ref=mt_paperback?_encoding=UTF8&me=

Machine: Toshiba Portege r705-P41, Dual Boot: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Ubuntu 15.04
CPU: Intel Core i5 460M @ 2.53GHz Arrandale 32nm Technology,
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20), Motherboard: TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics Revision 2 1720 MBytes

Speccy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 09:05 PM

Although it is a bit outdated it should provide you with basic knowledge. Personally I'd look for something more current that covers the new tech we have available now.

BTW: A lot of this stuff is probably available at your local public library. Used book stores are worth searching. People often get rid of current books.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#3 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:54 AM

Thanks Saw101!

Yeah, I wish I had time to go to the library, but its a big ordeal to get over there between two jobs and my classes. Anyway, their selection is terrible. I complained once and the librarian said the computer books get stolen or lost a lot. :( So I requested some from other libraries, but so far all my requests have been cancelled. So, I'm kinda over the library just now.

I was hoping someone had a title in mind that is currently in print. These ebooks will be the death of my eyes. (BC needs an emoji collapsing onto a fainting couch or something)

Machine: Toshiba Portege r705-P41, Dual Boot: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Ubuntu 15.04
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20), Motherboard: TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)

Speccy

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 05:20 AM

I'd recommend Maximum PC's How To articles

#5 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:14 AM

This is one of the sites I've been looking at that has inspired me to try this. Good to know its legit!
It's really hard for me to tell if a source has good info or not. I've never played video games, been into buying expensive smartphones, or done any of the usual things that exposes people to computer knowledge and my degree involved being around academics who were almost allergic to computers!

Thankfully I can come here to double check something before I spend good money or act on advice given. :thumbup2: You guys have never steered me wrong!

Do you think the above book is okay, given that much of my time to absorb new hobby info is when I'm away from my computer? Thanks again! :flowers:

Speccy

#6 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:45 PM

Seems like you can guarantee current information by going online. You really shouldn't need a book for computer building. This site plus that Maximum PC link Kilroy posted should be enough. But, I know a lot about computers, so I am biased.

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,806 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 07:54 AM

Actually books like this are not that obsolete as really the tips they give will stand true honestly if it's referring to how to install something like a CPU or memory very little has changed and as for connections on the motherboard again very little has changed so if you feel the need to buy this book I wouldn't necessarily worried about it being too out of date as installation for components has not really changed since this book has been written 2009 or 2015 when considering building a PC however if you want something more current why not watch a video about PC building? It would be free of chearge and would still give you the same result of tutoring

Edited by MadmanRB, 29 August 2015 - 07:56 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#8 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 02:04 PM

Actually books like this are not that obsolete as really the tips they give will stand true honestly if it's referring to how to install something like a CPU or memory very little has changed and as for connections on the motherboard again very little has changed so if you feel the need to buy this book I wouldn't necessarily worried about it being too out of date as installation for components has not really changed since this book has been written 2009 or 2015 when considering building a PC however if you want something more current why not watch a video about PC building? It would be free of chearge and would still give you the same result of tutoring

Thanks Madman! I think I'm going to get this book. And yes, I am watching videos and reading online tutorials, and I'd love some links if you have any favorites!  :love4u:
it's just that I work a lot and am either in transit or have downtime or breaks but the internet is not available to me (I don't have an expensive phone).

For whatever reason, I found when I was in school that reading textbooks during these periods was really good for me. Its a habit I've gotten into I guess.

There is research that shows people retain more when they read from real paper rather than screens. All my professors gave online reading assignments in a pdf format to encourage us to print it out, and some required us to because they saw such a huge difference in grades between people who brought paper to class and people with tablets or laptops. I really do think it makes a difference.

Speccy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users