Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows won't boot past Welcome screen, no safe mode option with F8.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 syntinen

syntinen

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:58 PM

I was uninstalling old games via control panel, at which point it said to reboot to finish. When it was restarted, Windows will now no longer boot past a certain stage. It shows that windows is loading normally, but then it stops at the blue Windows 7 welcome screen (just the blue image with the little bird, no "welcome" or words at all).

I can't do anything after that. When I hit f8, the only options are to launch windows repair, and start normally. Both options bring me to this screen. I have NO idea what to do at this point, as I can't even get into safe mode to run system restore. Any ideas?? Is there another way to get into safe mode?

I can't even give you my specs on my comp, other than it's an Alienware X51 running Windows 7. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 04:46 AM

Do you have a Startup Repair disk or an installation disk that you can run repairs with?

If the Alienware came with a Dell disk, that's the correct kind.

Here's more detailed instructions:  https://www.winhelp.us/repair-your-computer-in-windows-vista-or-7.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 syntinen

syntinen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:50 PM

Thanks for the reply. I let it sit after it got stuck at the welcome screen and system repair ended up running itself. It also did a system restore. I was able to get in with safe mode and remove my important files (although VERY, very slowly - 9 hours to transfer less than 700gb). The error I got when I ran f5 at startup gave me code "2000-0145" after the hard drive failed to finish testing, and from what I read that is a failing/failed hard drive? I was able to buy a new drive through my job, so I'm going to replace that and work from there. 

#4 kjsisco

kjsisco

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 01:05 PM

Good luck with the new hardware.  That game uninstall was the last straw for that old drive I guess.  :)

#5 syntinen

syntinen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 02:10 PM

Good luck with the new hardware.  That game uninstall was the last straw for that old drive I guess.  :)

Thanks! It definitely was. I am just glad I was able to recover my files at home without having to bring it somewhere. :)

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:48 AM

Good luck with the new hard drive.

Just FYI - you're really lucky to have been able to recover the files yourself.  Here's a list of local (eastern US) prices for data recovery:

- simply copying data off the old HDD $100

- simple recovery $250+

- moderate recovery (software tools used) $500+

- difficult recover (clean room disassembly) $1700 to $2000

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users