Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows update not working

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 G_MAN1974

G_MAN1974

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:29 PM

Long story so bear with me.

Bought a laptop in january and hadn't used my desktop since.

Wanted to start using it again, but had an expired version of Norton Internet Security 2014 that need to be removed and the laptop has Kaspersky on it, which I like better.

Checked the Norton site and they said use Windows Add/Remove to remove NIS, reboot, then run Norton removal tool, reboot, to get rid of all remnenants of NIS.

This is where the problem began. I installed Kaspersky IS 2015 and did all the updates. I then went to do the windows updates and got the following message:

Windows could not search for updates

An error occured while checking for new updates

Error found:

Code 8024402F

Windows encountered an unknown error.

Apparently using the Norton removal tool has been messing up windows updates for a while. Wish i had known before i used it.

I then went to the Microsoft site and they had a Microsoft Fixit tool which i ran. It found problems it couldn't fix:

Windows update error 0x80070057(2015-8-26-T-07_19_51P) Not fixed

Problems installing recent updates Not Fixed

Problems installing recent updates Not Fixed

Then when I went back into Windows update it showed -

Most recent check for updates:Never,

Updates wwere installed: Never

And my entire update history was gone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

using Windows Vista Home Premium, SP2, Dell inspiron.

Edited by G_MAN1974, 26 August 2015 - 07:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:27 AM

Hello G_man,

You could try the steps shown in this video @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6eHDtylDYo

It has worked for me in the past.

Good luck.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

#3 G_MAN1974

G_MAN1974
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 06:06 PM

So, I think I fixed most of the issue.

I had to manually put in some registry keys under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore. did a reboot and that got BITS back up and running.

I then ran the fix it tool from Microsoft and got an error code. Put the code in here:

That gave me 2 possible solutions. 1) Run the fix it tool, which I already did, 2) Run an elevated command prompt and do a sfc /scannow.

That got me going.

52 of the 54 updates intalled successfully. The cumulative security update for Explorer 9 and one other failed. Have to try and figure out why tomorrow. 

#4 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:09 PM

Hello G_man,

Glad you've got BITS running and were able to install the updates, but could you let me know if clearing the cache and resetting WU (per video) helped?

Please elaborate on what you needed to add to to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore to get it going.

Thanks,

Mark

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

#5 G_MAN1974

G_MAN1974
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:46 PM

MarkMCS: I watched the video, but didn't try it as the other steps I took were less involved so I tried them first.

The Backuprestore was empty when i looked at it. I then did the following to get BITS up and running.:

1) Open regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore
2) Right-click BackupRestore and select New | Key
3) Enter FilesNotToBackup.
4) Right-click BackupRestore and select New | Key
5) Enter KeysNotToRestore
6) Right-click BackupRestore and select New | Key
7) Enter FilesNotToSnapshot

After reboot, the FilesNotToBackup was populated with:
BITS_BAK - REG_MULTI_SZ - C:\Windows\System32\Bits.bak
BITS_LOG - REG_MULTI_SZ - C:\Windows\System32\Bits.log
BITS_metadata - REG_MULTI_SZ - C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\*

#6 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 09:11 PM

Thanks for the information, G_man.

Would downloading the latest Windows Update agent have recreated those keys automatically?

I know the Video was a bit long and tedious.

Just glad you've got things working again.

Peace

#7 G_MAN1974

G_MAN1974
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 10:26 AM

Hi MarkMCS:

No idea if running the the latest WUA would have recreated those registry keys. If I run into more problems i may do what the video suggests.

Anyway, I got the last three updates that failed yesterday to finally install.

Turns out it was Kaspersky firewall preventing them from working. I have figure out how to add three sites Microsoft suggested to the firewall exclusions.

But for now, I found a quick work around. Turn off Kaspersky firewall, turn on Windows firewall which already includes the exclusions. Ran WU. Boom - all three downloaded and installed without a problem.

Then turned off Windows firewall and turned Kaspersky back on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users