Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Linux Distro should i use?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Highjinks

Highjinks

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 03:29 PM

Please post specs (CPU, RAM, HDD/SSD). Please run Speccy if you are still running Windows and post a snapshot, as this is an easy way to show us your computer's specifications.

Unfortunately I turned my computer off last night so i can't remote in to run Speccy sorry :(

• CPU                         AMD FX 8150
  • Motherboard          MSI 990FXA-DG80
  • Ram                        16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series 2400 MHz
  • Storage                  500 GB Samsung 840 EVO/180 GB OCZ Vertex4/ 500 GB Hitachi HDP
  • Video Card             Nvidia GTX 980 TI

It may not matter, but i also have a GTX 980 TI and a g-sync monitor. I don't remember seeing anywhere if g-sync required windows or not. That may entirely just end my journey to Linux.

What do you do with this PC? Do you just surf the net, some email, watch a few movies or do you play games, and use virtual-machines?
A lot of gaming, some visualization for personal experimenting/training.

Do you want a distribution that's easy to configure or do you want something a little more challenging?
Probably something a bit more challenging. I've gotten bored of windows. I've used Linux before in school but that was a while back, and very limited. 

Do you want a distribution for which there is a decent amount of help out there in terms of forum support and tutorials, or do you prefer to research and work things out for yourself?
This could go either way really. The initial setup would probably need quite a bit of support but once i get it running, self research is fine 

Do you want a distribution that looks more like Windows or are you okay with a different look?

Doesn't really matter either. 

Overall i'm just tired of windows, and want something new. No real rush for responses either, as it's probably not something i'm going to rush home after work to do.

Either way, i appreciate anyone and everyone's response to my request :D. 

Edited by Highjinks, 26 August 2015 - 03:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TheJokerz

TheJokerz

• Members
  • 271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 03:43 PM

I personally like ubuntu, it is pretty user friendly to get you started or you can do a little research and do everything you want from the command line!!

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:04 PM

With those PC specs any Linux should run just fine. I prefer Ubuntu.

A lot of gaming,

That could be a problem, As a general rule Windows software wont run on Linux. You would have to look and see if the games are supported by steam.

#4 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:46 PM

Hijinks, suggest you get PCLinuxOS, 64-bit. They have a forum.  I was kicked out of it, not sure why, was complaining about task-mate bombing, so I can't go in there to ask on your behalf, but you can. 

What recommends it:  it's a Debian/Ubuntu mix, has literally every kind of Linux program already added in, so you can just uninstall what you don't like.  It also sports all six interfaces (Gnome, KDE, Xfce, Mate, plain, forget the other ones) -- which you can turn on at signin, so can go from style to style.  In other words, you're never committed to a single interface.  I don't know of any other Linux distro which offers you a wardrobe of interfaces, at sign in.

But its biggest draw for you will be its six desktops, one of which is GAMING.  Really slick design, very attractive.  Has dual faces within the six, where you can use the PCLinuxOS version, or some other you craft from it.  Hard to explain, you'll see when you install it.  This is truly a different distro.  Yet, has all the familiar stuff too, with a huge repository.

Best of all, it travels.  I installed PCLinux OS to external drive and stick of each 60 GB (well, to external first then cloned the external to 2.0 stick).  The stick is slow, but the external runs as fast as if to internal drive.  Then, I can take that external drive and hook it up to any of my Windows PCs, which vary by video/sound card, by monitor and desktop/laptop, always having the same configuration, and if I change it, well that is remembered from machine to machine.  Without, any of the machines' internal hard drives, being affected at all.  Were I a gamer, that would matter a bunch, for some games in DOSbox (which runs fine in PCLinuxOS) work better on older hardware, but other games like the newer stuff.  So for one game, plug into one machine, and for another, another machine.

It comes ready to use the minute you finish the install, which had been buggy (details here) but might be fixed, now.  Suggest you install to external drive only, at first, using some spare lappie which has at least 1 GB of RAM and no internal hard drive to run the install.  And, that you install from DVD not some other stick, though the latter is faster.  Note that the 'liveUSB' stuff are only installers, not installations.  I'm talking instead, external installation. For your purposes, you'd want a bigger external drive, like the one you have.  So install to a 500 GB external drive (or somewhat smaller), then if you like it after awhile, you can always clone to your internal.

Oh, and I installed MS Office 2003 to PC LinuxOS, and can run a lot of the Windows System 32 programs right in Linux by right-clicking and using the Wine option.  Really slick in PCLinuxOS, best I've seen, even better than Mint in that respect.  BUT there's so much in it to learn, even though you don't have to mess with the commandline, count on a full week or more getting acquainted.  In short, it's got everything you might have liked or needed in Windows, with a whole STORE of what's available, in Linux.  Really great and huge distro.

Lemme know if I'm unclear or obtuse.

Edited by brainout, 26 August 2015 - 05:53 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#5 Highjinks

Highjinks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:02 PM

Thanks for your input guys i do really appreciate it!

I kinda figured that seeing as i do game a lot that Linux may just not work for me. When i was going to school i knew that was true for almost all games, but had heard a lot of developers were working towards Linux as well, guess that just hasn't come to fruition yet. 

I do have a spare laptop laying around that all i use it for now is media storage so maybe i'll just use that for my Linux machine in the mean time. Are there any issues with Linux and file formats? I rip all of my cd's and movies to this laptop so i can play them to any TV in my house (not a big house just the living room at bedroom lol). 

I really just wish i wasn't so MSFT dependent, with all the issues in the Windows 10 EULA and everything, i think it's time for a change :).

Again thank you all for your input. 

#6 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:58 PM

Some things to consider:

1.  If you install Linux to an external drive, you still have your Windows.  I primarily use Linux to husband older Windows (esp. XP).  At this point, I can leave Windows entirely, but don't want to.  So I use on external Linux drives, as suits my needs, Mint 13, 17, Fedora 17, 22, PCLinuxOS.  Plug and Play, no effect ont the Windows machine.  Don't have to learn all that complicated stuff which attends installing Linux on an internal hard drive.  It's not bad stuff to learn, but I have my time already eaten up with Windows glitches.

2.  DOSbox will be needed to run games in Windows 8 and 10, anyhow, and it's the same program at the end-user level (installers are different, program is the same, Linux v. Windows).

3.  Linux is the new up-and-comer for games.  Apparently Steam works well on it, and all the DOSbox games.  I'm not a gamer, so I can't say which of your favs will be better or worse or even on Linux, but you can google around.

4.  Since you can plug Linux into your machine when surfing, you can keep your old games and old Windows running those games.  Many gamers stick with Win98, and I see why. Some, w/DOS, hence the DOSbox.

Think of it as having two sets of clothes you choose from at will.

Edited by brainout, 26 August 2015 - 07:00 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#7 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,416 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:58 PM

Some things to consider:

1.  If you install Linux to an external drive, you still have your Windows.  I primarily use Linux to husband older Windows (esp. XP).  At this point, I can leave Windows entirely, but don't want to.  So I use on external Linux drives, as suits my needs, Mint 13, 17, Fedora 17, 22, PCLinuxOS.  Plug and Play, no effect ont the Windows machine.  Don't have to learn all that complicated stuff which attends installing Linux on an internal hard drive.  It's not bad stuff to learn, but I have my time already eaten up with Windows glitches.

2.  DOSbox will be needed to run games in Windows 8 and 10, anyhow, and it's the same program at the end-user level (installers are different, program is the same, Linux v. Windows).

3.  Linux is the new up-and-comer for games.  Apparently Steam works well on it, and all the DOSbox games.  I'm not a gamer, so I can't say which of your favs will be better or worse or even on Linux, but you can google around.

4.  Since you can plug Linux into your machine when surfing, you can keep your old games and old Windows running those games.  Many gamers stick with Win98, and I see why. Some, w/DOS, hence the DOSbox.

Think of it as having two sets of clothes you choose from at will.

I don't think he is playing any games from the DOS era that would require DOSbox..... one giveaway is the GTX 980 TI.

I'm also not sure where the "many gamers stick with 98" comes from. I don't know any gamer that runs Windows 98 considering no new games can run on that.

I also would recommend Ubuntu. It was the first Linux distro I tried back in 06 or so. I ran other ones for a while besides that, mostly Fedora. Ubuntu is a solid OS though, and I always end up coming back to it.

Steam has a few games that will run on Linux quite well. Most of the Valve games will run (half lifes, Counter Strikes, Portal, etc). One new AAA title that will work is Dying Light (though it does have its issues - oh and the Metro 2033/last light as well). Linux gaming is getting there... but in no way is it up to par with Windows unfortunately. My suggestion is to dual boot. I go back and forth in Windows and Linux. If I know I am going to game I'll boot up Windows, if I am going to do typical surfing or play games that will work with Linux, it gets booted. So my usage varies. One day though, maybe all games will work in Linux... one can hope.

Edited by DeimosChaos, 26 August 2015 - 07:59 PM.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#8 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 09:24 PM

I like Ubuntu and Mint. They're both so good it's hard to decide, though I think the Ububtu Forums have better support for newbies.

Now, to add a bit more to the confusion... I run Mint Rafaela in Vmware on Windows 10. Talk about the best of both worlds. I can run both OSs simultaneously on the same machine. I've always had some sort of Linux on a "spare machine" since Dapper Drake, but I didn't use it much, because it was a pain to boot up another computer to play for an hour or so.

Just something else to consider...

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,887 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:19 AM

Linux Mint is a great OS for Linux newbies, but I'm not sure about gaming, since that's a requirement, and some trickery will be needed to install your GPU, I have one of the lesser GTX versions in the 960. Until your drivers are configured, it's best to have the onboard switched to on on the BIOS/UEFI firmware, otherwise everything is going to be in XXL size on the monitor(s). 

Regardless of which Linux OS you choose, it may be best to go with onboard at least long enough to update the OS, make sure you like the distro & it meets Your needs. Being that you're obviously are an enthusiast by your GPU alone, you'll need advice as to which Linux is best for gaming. Maybe brainout has a good idea with PCLinuxOS, that was a distro that I tried years back, had I been able to get my wireless network card (cell based) to work, would have stuck with the OS. It's a fantastic group over there who will go the distance to assist their members. It was kind of sad for me to leave. 

They have a forum.  I was kicked out of it, not sure why, was complaining about task-mate bombing

brainout, while I have no idea what that term means, you must have had a falling out, PCLinuxOS was the best 100% Linux forum I ever was a participant in. It wasn't their fault that I had only one computer at the time & using a Cricket Wireless USB type modem for an ISP. If I had the ISP setup that I now have, would have stuck with the distro & likely not went with Linux Mint. They really are that best of all of the Linux forums where I participated & were more than willing to answer my questions. 

The reason why I had some access to the forum was my neighbor allowed me to use it while she wasn't on it, like when gone or in bed, then I could use my inbuilt wireless card (Intel 2200BG) & PCLOS ran fine. 

Hopefully the OP will find a suitable distro, yet it'll be a challenge to match a Windows gaming platform with a Linux one. There is Steam for Linux, but not all titles are available for Linux users, yet the list is growing. As more Linux users jumps in, creating more demand, it'll grow more. 

I'd certainly suggest a dual boot at the beginning, though this would mean that you'd have to install your GPU as soon as the OS is installed & updated. While this is easily done on Ubuntu based distros (Mint being one out of many), PCLinuxOS isn't in that group & will require a different way. 

I wish you the very best of luck in finding a suitable Linux gaming OS to meet your needs, and should you need further questions, don't hesitate to ask. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#10 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:34 PM

heres a great list of Distros, and info on each one.

linux.com

its awesome how far they have came ... I still have a Sun box .... somewhere.  I hate that thing, but its a great way to learn the OS.

cz

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,277 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:19 PM

Give this a look, I use Linux Mint KDE 17.1 and love it!: 

Edited by pcpunk, 29 August 2015 - 10:21 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#12 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 12:27 AM

So that's plasma 5, with Compiz?  Wow.

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 30 August 2015 - 02:50 AM

So that's plasma 5, with Compiz?

KDE has its own manager called KWin.

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,277 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 01:51 PM

Sorry, that was not the best vid. I was not on my own pc at the time.  Just gives an idea of what can be done with Linux Upper end OS's.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#15 Highjinks

Highjinks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:39 AM

Give this a look, I use Linux Mint KDE 17.1 and love it!: 

Looks REALLY clean. I may have to try this one out. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users