Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New-to-me Craigslist model: Good for a PC Hardware class practice?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ubiq

Ubiq

• Members
  • 246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 03:00 PM

Hi guys! :hello:

I'm interested in learning more about hardware. I'm thinking about taking a little online class through my local community college as well as some edx classes with the goal of (maybe) eventually taking the Comptia A+ exams.

I also want a second backup computer that would not be used for intensive programs or gaming. It will run some version of linux. Probably Ubuntu or something Debian-based that is a bit lean.

Anyway, would the tower in this Craigslist posting be good for these purposes?

I want something I can upgrade, for the purposes of learning about installing hardware and to bump up the ram a smidge. However, I haven't learned enough yet to know what to look for when looking at old stuff for sale.

Please let me know if this is a good tower for my needs, or if you have any thoughts on what questions I should be asking the seller.

I would also love to hear any musings, stories of experience, etc., on the types of equipment I should be considering for my new little hobby.

My apologies if this is posted in the wrong joint. :horse:

Machine: Toshiba Portege r705-P41, Dual Boot: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Ubuntu 15.04
CPU: Intel Core i5 460M @ 2.53GHz Arrandale 32nm Technology,
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20), Motherboard: TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics Revision 2 1720 MBytes

Speccy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 03:39 PM

Yes, that tower is fine for tinkering and screwin' around. Also the seller has it listed at a correct price considering it barely has a case!

If you also want a modern backup computer, something that can do just about anything, then build it from scratch yourself. Great way to learn. If you want something you don't care about, like a used car, then get the tower on craigslist. It's only 10 bucks!.

Also, more importantly, is that Stephen Fry?

#3 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 246 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 03:40 PM

Yes, that tower is fine for tinkering and screwin' around. Also the seller has it listed at a correct price considering it barely has a case!

If you also want a modern backup computer, something that can do just about anything, then build it from scratch yourself. Great way to learn. If you want something you don't care about, like a used car, then get the tower on craigslist. It's only 10 bucks!.

Also, more importantly, is that Stephen Fry?

Thanks! I will contact the seller!

Yes, that's Stephen! I was inspired by the choice of "Not Telling" under gender.

Edited by Ubiq, 26 August 2015 - 03:41 PM.

Machine: Toshiba Portege r705-P41, Dual Boot: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Ubuntu 15.04
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20), Motherboard: TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)

Speccy

#4 TheJokerz

TheJokerz

• Members
  • 271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 03:40 PM

According to this https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements you would barley have enough just run Ubuntu, you could also look at running lubuntu which is a lot more light weight.  I could not find the minimum for lubuntu, however I would be willing to bet that would run on that system!  Either way all those OS's are free any way, so if it does not work find a less demanding one.  There are a ton to choose from!

I have ubuntu server running on a laptop from 2010 so they are pretty light weight compared to other OS's!

#5 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 246 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 03:58 PM

According to this https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements you would barley have enough just run Ubuntu, you could also look at running lubuntu which is a lot more light weight.  I could not find the minimum for lubuntu, however I would be willing to bet that would run on that system!  Either way all those OS's are free any way, so if it does not work find a less demanding one.  There are a ton to choose from!

I have ubuntu server running on a laptop from 2010 so they are pretty light weight compared to other OS's!

Thanks for that reminder! I agree that Ubuntu would be a little intensive for it. It's almost too much for this laptop, but I guess he is starting to get a little old. :(  I'm thinking ram is the first thing to upgrade on this Craigslist system if I get it.

I'll probably start a topic in the linux forum asking the guys for advice about what to install. Lubuntu is probably what they'll recommend but I also wonder about Puppy linux even though I think that's designed to run from usb rather than a full install. Still learning about the different distros. There's an edx Intro to linux class I'm going to take as soon as I'm finished with my latest round of MS office classes for work. Hoping that will get me a little more familiar with the distros and their hardware needs, etc. 

Speccy

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 04:54 AM

I'd recommend getting a refurbished machine.  For less than $100 you can get a much better machine.  While it isn't $10 it is a much better machine.  I'd recommend going with an HP or Dell since they are most likely business machines that were leased.  These machines will also give you a much better idea of what you would see in a corporate environment.

#7 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 246 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 09:21 AM

Wow, those are low prices! Thanks! :flowers:

Speccy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users