Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Upgrade to USB 3.0

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dhar

dhar

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:51 PM

I'm trying to get educated on the viability of upgrading a laptop's USB port from 2.0 to 3.0.

I've got a reasonably good laptop running windows 10, on a i3 chipset.

I do not have a express card slot, so the usb 3.0 express cards won't work for me.

I see 3.0 usb upgrade software downloads and new ports, but have no idea if/how this would actually result in a 3.0 4.8 Gbps experience.

Has anyone upgraded a laptop to 3.0?

Much appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 03:35 PM

I don't think you can. USB is hardware and can not be changed or upgraded from one version to another. Your only option on a laptop is to use the express card slot or get a hub. The latter isn't really an upgrade, just another device.

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,709 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:28 PM

The data buffers and such on the LT with USB 2.0 is unfortunately stuck with 2.0 speeds.  No external device can be used as the hardware in the LT is not up to speed.  There may be some other card (firewire) you can use an adapter with.  No promise it will work that way, 3.0 is heads above the 2.0 protocols and needs BIOS support.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users