Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM Upgrade Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 taggsonian

taggsonian

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 12:59 PM

Hi everyone, 

I have an HP Pavilion desktop computer that's going to hit its 6th birthday in a few months, and it's gotten much slower in its old age. It never was a powerful computer, but my needs aren't extravagant, and it's served me fairly well. I use it mostly for web browsing, video streaming, iTunes, and as of recently, a bit of audio recording and editing using Audacity. Every once in a while, I go through my startup processes and clear out some unnecessary ones. The extent of the purposeful multitasking that I do is running iTunes while I'm browsing the web (and that slows my computer down considerably), and that's about it. The hard disk light on the front panel of the tower is usually flashing very quickly or just remains steadily lit. I don't have all of my exact computer specs on hand at the moment, but I don't have an SSD, I have 4 GB of DDR3 RAM, and I have an AMD processor. 

Last fall, my power supply blew out, so I replaced it and when I opened the tower, I saw that there are no additional slots to expand memory, but would simply replacing the existing RAM help with the speed issues? Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mauguilar

mauguilar

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 01:15 PM

Sometimes slow issues has to do computer maintenance and tuneup, you need to make sure you are running the proper maintenance on that computer.

I don't think upgrading the RAM would make a difference and that depends on what Operating system in your computer.

If you have a x32 OS, It won't see the rest of the RAM

Edited by mauguilar, 26 August 2015 - 01:16 PM.

#3 taggsonian

taggsonian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 01:21 PM

Thanks for the response! I'm running Windows 7, and I'm almost certain it's the 64-bit version (but not 100% certain). Norton Anti-virus is always running, and I back that up with scans from other programs such as MalwareBytes, so the computer is generally virus-free (as far as I know), the system is set to automatically defrag the hard drive once a week, and I apply the necessary Windows Updates when they come up. Anything I'm missing?

#4 mauguilar

mauguilar

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 01:37 PM

You ca not relay on just those software to keep your PC running smooth there is more to it. If this would be the case there wouldn't be computer technicians..!

You need to research more about maintaining computer systems maybe buy a book or something

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users