Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot access File Server from one workstation but can from another with same cr

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SGTrader

SGTrader

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 12:16 PM

Hi everybody. I have Small Business  network with one file server and 25 workstations in workgroup. Lately I've been experiencing some difficulties. Latest: one of the user cannot sign in into network share on the file server from one computer but can do it from another. I setup same profile with credentials and one is Ok but not another. All workstations have Windows 7 64 bit and our file server is Windows Server 2008 R2. I tried few things suggested on this site but it didn't work.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mauguilar

mauguilar

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 12:52 PM

1- Reboot the computer 

2- Rejoin the computer to the domain

Good luck

#3 SGTrader

SGTrader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 12:57 PM

Thank you for quick response. But that will not work:

1. I did re-start client computer few times - no luck

2. I have workgroup not a domain.

#4 mauguilar

mauguilar

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 01:09 PM

Why do you have you computers in a domain?

What is the point having a windows server 2008. If you are going to keep your computers in workgroup

- Try connecting  to network share by it's IP Address instead of the server name for example:  \\192.168.1.1\NetworkShareName\

#5 SGTrader

SGTrader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 01:52 PM

I appreciate your input, but we have reasons for this setup. And I tried to access by IP address before with the same results. Server will not accept my credentials from this computer.  

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 03:38 PM

In your OP you stated "one user" in your last post you say yours, can anyone login from that PC? It sounds as if there is something blocking that PC from making a connection and you need to look at the server to see if it is being blocked in some way. Also, I am assuming the PC can ping the server? There's nothing stopping the actual connection and it's just an authentication issue from that PC.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#7 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:43 PM

review the servers security event viewer log for entries related to this workstations access.  It make give you a clue.  If you see nothing you would look at that pc for the problem.

You might just want to have it join a new workgroup and then rejoin the existing workgroup.  That usually fixed workgroup issues.

#8 SGTrader

SGTrader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:34 PM

In your OP you stated "one user" in your last post you say yours, can anyone login from that PC? It sounds as if there is something blocking that PC from making a connection and you need to look at the server to see if it is being blocked in some way. Also, I am assuming the PC can ping the server? There's nothing stopping the actual connection and it's just an authentication issue from that PC.

Thank you for your response. Our network setup so anybody could sign in into network from any computers with their credentials. This particular user can sign in from one computer (assign to him) but cannot sign up from other computers (I tried on 2 different computers to set up his profile).I could see server and ping it, but cannot authenticate. It just don't make sense that exactly same credential work on one but not on others. 

#9 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:03 AM

"Our network setup so anybody could sign in into network from any computers with their credentials"

That is a heck of a lot easier to setup in a domain than a workgroup.  In a workgroup every user must have their own account on every pc and their password needs to be the same on every pc.

No user account on a pc means they can't logon.

#10 SGTrader

SGTrader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:05 PM

"Our network setup so anybody could sign in into network from any computers with their credentials"

That is a heck of a lot easier to setup in a domain than a workgroup.  In a workgroup every user must have their own account on every pc and their password needs to be the same on every pc.

No user account on a pc means they can't logon.

Hi, you could be right but it was easier for us to setup this way and I had this setup for over 5 years with no problems. And yes user needs to have account setup on pc that he or she is using. And that is fine in our setup. But my issue is different.  i  looked into events log on a server. And it didn't go through due to authentication issue. I tried 3 different workstations with same result (each one had same account setup on it), but fourth one still connects. I triple checked user name and passwords - the are identical

#11 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:32 PM

reset the users account password on the server to match what is on the workstations.

confirm by logging on to the server with that user account and password.  When successful do the same from a workstation.

Edited by Wand3r3r, 01 September 2015 - 06:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users