Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New computer restarts during system boot if plug was ever switched off/unplugged

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Araxmas

Araxmas

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 11:38 AM

Hello all

This is a bit of a strange one that has me quite perplexed so any help would be very much appreciated. I recently built a new computer about three months ago but have run into a rather bizarre problem during boot-up.

My computer, when switched on, will begin to boot for a few seconds (barely enough time for the monitor to "warm up") before it suddenly turns off and restarts. At which point it will boot normally and act fine. The strange bit is that it will never do this restarting glitch again unless the plug is switched off or removed from the wall (at which point I assume it "forgets" whatever it did to fix it the first time).

The system is brand new and it has been doing it since I built it.

Computer Statistics:

• [MB] MSI X99s, Intel X99
  • [CPU] Intel I7 5820L 6-core
  • [GFX] Geforce GTX 970 (afraid cannot remember the brand)
  • [RAM] 4x 4gb Corsair DDR4 2666mhz
  • [OS] Windows 10
  • [HDD] 1x 2tb Sata, 1x 250gb Sata (OS), 1x 250gb SSD
  • [PSU] GS800 - 800w psu

The two theories I have are that my PSU may be to blame as it is the only part of my computer that is still old, being about 4-5 years old, so it may not be giving enough voltage to the newer components. The other possible issue may simply be some setting in my Bios as I have not even remotely touched my bios settings.

To cover all the bases these are the things I have currently tried but to no avail, all drivers are up to date as I had to redo them for Windows 10, I have resit every component to make sure it is connected, I have removed any rarely used peripherals & drives to reduce PSU load, I also read the component manuals thoroughly during the resit to make sure there was nothing I missed during the initial build.

Thankfully I can fix this issue temporarily by just leaving the plug switched on at the mains (which is why i've left it 3 months before asking for help) however I still want to find a permanent solution.

I look foward to any guidance that can be give in fixing this problem, if you require anymore information then please don't hesitate to ask.

-Arax

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,917 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:34 PM

Too many whacky and unrelated faults erupt when the CMOS battery gets low or dies.  It holds the system setup and keeps the time when shut down.  Usually a coin type cell.  Replace the cell if it's over two years old. 

#3 Araxmas

Araxmas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:52 PM

That's a good idea, I did wonder about the cell as who knows how long the stock one has been there for, however since the system clock is always fine I never thought it may be an issue.

I'll buy a new system battery tomorrow and see if that fixes it as like you said it could be the battery running low or being defective.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users