Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking For A New Computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ihateadware52792

ihateadware52792

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 14 July 2006 - 09:40 PM

Well, i don't want anything fancy. The main things i gotta have are Windows XP and atleast 512 MB of RAM. I don't need a really big hard drive, or really good graphics card. Just a computer thats fast for the internet and my music. (also something good for recording with a program like Audacity). I'm trying to find one within the 400 - 500 dollar range because once again, i dont want anything special. Right now I've got a Dell dimension (old one) with 64 MB or RAM and windows ME :thumbsup: I was thinking about Emachines because the price range for some of their computers is what im looking for, but I don't know if i could trust them like a Dell or an HP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2006 - 10:51 PM

I saw some computers for 400-500 ( Canadian ) at Bestbuy. Typicly Athlon 64 +3000-+3200 or Semperon +3200's with everthing you metioned. I'm sure sites such as Newegg will have what you want. Just remeber, you get what you pay for. ( most of the time )
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#3 ihateadware52792

ihateadware52792
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2006 - 11:30 PM

^^^ yeah ive been looking on NewEgg, they've got some really nice HP's in my price range.
but also, if you goto dell.com, you can custimize a PC, so i was able to custimize one with a flat screen, 512 MB RAM, windows XP and a good hard drive and whatever else thats included.
but the total came out to around 450 which is good.

#4 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 07:08 AM

I'd wait a while before a buy a Dell. Intels new Proccesors that are coming out are shaping up to be pretty damn good. And then there's rumored to be the war between AMD and Intel sometime this summer. I've had no problem running HP's. My Pentium 2, 300Mhz computer somehwere in my basement still runs after...alot of years. And my recent Presario SR1750NX that I bought from Bestbuy has served me well so far since late January.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 15 July 2006 - 12:04 PM

Try tigerdirect.com and compusa.com too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users