Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery Disk /Bootable ISO

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 08:24 AM

So I got the system (windows xp pro, sp 3) all cleaned up and want to make a recovery disk because its original was lost. I tried to use the windows backup program that is on the system but it wont allow me to burn the files to cd. I've been looking around online and so far I'm not impressed with what I am finding. I started by downloading and installing Imgburn but I can't find anywhere that tells me how to create my bootable ISO file. Everything I find says I have to download it from strange site or a torrent site. I would just like to use whats on the computer. Is this possible or am I hoping for to much. Also if anyone knows where I can buy a recovery cd I would like to know. The computer is a Dell Latitude D610.

Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 12 December 2015 - 01:47 PM.
Moved from XP to Backup/Image/Disk Managment Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 08:45 AM

What brand of hard drive is fitted?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 08:50 AM

Well as long as I'm doing this right, (under properties) it says Hitachi HTS424030M9AT00, and HL-DT-ST CDRW/DVD GCC4244

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,850 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 08:54 AM

You might take a look at the Dell rep response at https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130813111838AAynK4d .

I also note that this system is 10 years old and running an obsolete, unsupported O/S.  You may want to consider investing in a replacement running a more current O/S.  You might also consider installing linux on it.

Louis.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 08:59 AM

Dell would be the one to contact for XP recovery disks but because XP is no longer supported I am not sure Dell still provides them for XP. The only other option would be to get a XP SP3 install disk on ebay.

If your computer is running fine and you have a USB external drive your best option may be to create a disk image using Macrium Free. If the comptuer does not boot because of a malware infection or bad drive you can restore the disk image with a bootable disk created by Macrium and the disk image on the external drive.

If you just want a disk to recover files you can use a XP recovery disk or linux distro like Puppy linux.

https://www.winhelp.us/basics-of-data-recovery-cd.html

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 09:05 AM

As well as the possible use of Macrium as suggested by JohnC, the Western Digital Acronis TrueImage Special Edition available from the WD support website has been observed to now work with HGST drives, as the Hitachi storage division is owned by WD.

As John says, with an image of the hard drive on removable media and a bootable CD made by whichever imaging software you use, the system could be easily restored in the case of disaster.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 09:09 AM

How do I know what file I'm suppose to be turning into the ISO file?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 09:17 AM

Macrium doesn't make a group of files into an iso like Imgburn. It will take your whole disk and back it up to one Macrium Image file that would be copied to an external hard drive.

The advantage of using Macrium is it will let you mount the image file on the external drive as a virtual drive and give you the ability to pull any file out of the image you want. Macrium has an option to create a bootable USB flash drive or CD in the program. Using that you would recover the image on an unbootable computer.

Creating an Image Video

Restore an Image Video

#9 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 11:25 AM

I'm not worried about trying to save anything. Tried to call Dell but to no ones surprized and after leaving me on hold for some time they told me they don't send out XP disks.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 12:18 PM

That is why you need to create a disk image with Macrium. If your computer is running fine then this is the best you can do. Create an image of what is currently on the computer. You will not be able to do a clean install as you no longer have install or recovery disks. 

Other than the above the only other option would be to ditch XP and put a linux distro like Ubuntu or Mint on the computer.

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 August 2015 - 12:18 PM.

#11 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 01:19 PM

JohnC_21,

I finally took a leap and downloaded Macrium and created the first cd. It looks like it will work really good on the system. It's still a really new program for me but I think I'm starting to get it, hopefully you can answer a few questions for me. Would it be best to make a cone copy or image copy onto an external drive? And will the Cd I just made be able to find it on an external drive?

Thank you

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 01:33 PM

You want to make an image copy to an external drive, not a clone. A clone is usually done from disk to disk. Anyway, an image with the bootable CD you create in Macrium is just as good as a clone. If the drive goes bad, replace it with a new one, boot the Macrium Recovery CD, and restore the disk image from the external drive. You can create a disk image from within Windows and restore it using the bootable disk. Just make sure the bootable disk can detect your hard drives including the external drive you have attached.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users