Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search bar privacy

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Xirw

Xirw

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 12:53 AM

I've read that Windows 10 gathers information & sends your local search results back to Microsoft servers. I just want to know if 7 does the same thing? If it does, is there any way to disable it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:11 PM

I think it only does if you have that bing for desktop? Not sure

#3 malynensi

malynensi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:54 PM

I uninstalled Bing a couple of times because I don't feel like it could be trusted.Maybe because of that issue. I don't know. You better take it out before it could damage your computer.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 11:23 PM

There are a pile of recent updates for Windows that can violate your privacy...

KB3021917
KB3035583
KB2952664
KB3022345
KB3068708

Though I have not gone as far as to looking in what they actually do in detail, just blocking them from my network.

You may choose to remove these if they are installed, though it may disable your upgrade path to Win 10.

#5 Xirw

Xirw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:09 AM

Thanks for the info guys. Im guessing that it only does that in win 10 because both offline and online is built into the search bar. But yeah, I never installed that bing thing.

Edited by Xirw, 27 August 2015 - 10:11 AM.

#6 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 03:52 PM

Hey thanks Tsvk, a couple of those slipped by me. KB3068708 in particular i have no idea how it got on here, unless I guess it was an older one before I started screening them more carefully after that 305 whatever one that puts the windows 10 icon on the taskbar.

So now all the windows 7 people can start experiencing the pain that the XP people had a while back...  I guess their smugness will have evaporated now, and realize how annoying it is when people say "stop living in the past, that OS is x years old, get the newest windows it's great!" :P  Windows 7 is the last windows I will ever use for anything other than toy machines.

Edited by sparklestar, 27 August 2015 - 03:52 PM.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 04:19 PM

Hahah... I understand your sentiment. As a sysadmin though (and only in my 30's) I doubt I'll be able to keep my users on the same OS for the next 30 years until I retire :P

I've still got hopes that the Linux community is going to make a big push with their desktop development and come up with a suitable corporate replacement for Windows before 7 goes EOL. Wouldn't that be nice :)

Windows 7 loyalists have still got a good long time giggling at the problems early adopters of Win 10... we'll see afterwards who gets the last laugh.

Edited by TsVk!, 27 August 2015 - 04:19 PM.

#8 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:03 PM

I think Mint is already in pretty good shape, but yeah, I realize there seems to be that last mile that linux hasn't gone yet. The problem is that there's no real incentive for them to do it, because they kind of just make it for themselves. I don't really see corporations wanting a linux replacement, because they are going to just want to ride the cloud wave... frankly (elements of) your job might be in jeopardy eventually as you get replaced by the cloud...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users