Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"required drive partition is missing" for windows 8 wipe

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 maggiefox413

maggiefox413

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 12:42 AM

Today I got a pop up from my ASUS laptop(bought 2 years ago) that said to the effect of, my hard drive is broken. I had been planning to wipe my computer for a while so I started the process. When it got just past the screen to click if i wanted to refresh or wipe my hard drive(i chose the wipe) it said that a "required drive partition is missing" so I cannot wipe it. My computer cannot access internet because of some problem that started today and my windows 8 came already on my ASUS laptop so I cannot redownload it. What should I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:45 AM

Why were you " planning to wipe my computer for a while" ??

Was this because of problems with the day to day running...?

Give me a story about what has happened leading up to this.....

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal,

It is the Courage to Continue that Counts.

W.C. 4th June 1940

#3 maggiefox413

maggiefox413
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 10:29 AM

It started about last year with having malware problems. I did get a main issue fixed by using this site. Now for the past I'd say 6 or so months even, I've been getting the blue screen of death maybe every other day with the "kernal Inpage data error". And also I wanted to wipe it just to get rid of old junk and hopefully get it to work better then. I was basically one day too late on wiping it cause my guess is if i did it two days ago, before it said my hard drive is broken, the wipe could've happened.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,659 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 10:37 AM

You would get the error of Partition missing if the Reset partition was no longer available. You can download Windows 8.1 for free from Microsoft and do a clean install but you would need to backup any data on your computer first. Any programs you downloaded and installed since purchase would have to be reinstalled and you would no longer have the OEM software that was included with your computer. Do you use Microsoft Office on this computer? 

#5 maggiefox413

maggiefox413
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 10:48 AM

I've already backed up all my files to an external harddrive and no I don't use Microsoft Office. What is the OEM software?

#6 maggiefox413

maggiefox413
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 11:11 AM

I also remembered that, for a good chuck of them, my laptop couldn't ever complete the weekly Windows updates. It would just say Windos could not update, undoing changes.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,659 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 11:15 AM

OEM software would be software with an ASUS label if any are present. Just in case I would pull the Windows 8 form firmware using Produkey. You can confirm the key embedded in firmware by using FirmwareTablesView and looking under the MSDM table. Download the Windows 8.1 media creation tool here. You can use a DVD or USB flash drive. You should not need the key found using Produkey during the install. When on the internet Windows should pick up the key and activate the install. You may wish to download your wireless and Ethernet drivers first and copy them to a flash drive just in case the media you downloaded does not include them.

What is the model number of this ASUS?

See this walkthrough on performing a clean install.

Edit: If ASUS came up with a popup that said your hard drive failed the above will not work. You need a new hard drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 August 2015 - 11:30 AM.

#8 maggiefox413

maggiefox413
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 10:10 PM

The sticker on my laptop that has all the numbers confused me so basically this is all it says and hopefully one of these is the model number haha

MB VER X501A CHECK NUMBER 4360
D3N0CX397535119
[barcode]
X501A SI30403X

Hopefully that made sense

This is also what my computer pop up exactly says:
"Windows detected a hard dick problem
Back up your files immediately to prevent information loss, and then contact the computer manufacturer to determine if you need to repair or replace the disk"

So my mistake by saying it was the harddrive when it's a hard disk issue. Hopefully this helps some.

It also says that this disk is the one that is failing:
TOSHIBA MQ01ABD050
Volume: C:\

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,659 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 10:29 PM

Did you get a chance to pull the key using Produkey? You can verify if the hard drive is failing by running Seatools for Windows here. Do the short and long generic test. But, I believe you are going to need to purchase a new drive. From looking online removing the hard drive from this computer is not easy and should be left you someone with hardware experience.

asus X501A SI30403X is the model number. Here is the support site. Unfortunately I could not access the support link on the page.

SeaTools for Windows User Guide - Seagate

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 August 2015 - 10:30 PM.

#10 maggiefox413

maggiefox413
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 10:42 PM

I havent run produkey yet but I will. Also how should I access the Seatools download you linked above since my laptop cant access internet? Or does the user guide tell me another way?

#11 maggiefox413

maggiefox413
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 11:52 PM

Also, question, would queueing a disk check/repair thing for when I restart my computer maybe help repair the disk? Just something that came to mind.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,659 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:16 AM

If you do not have internet access you can download the program on another computer and copy it to a flash drive. Since you have backed up all your files you can do a chkdsk command but it's not going to fix a failing drive if that is the problem.

When you say you cannot access the internet, is this because of problem with your wireless or Ethernet? Do you have any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager under Network?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users