Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CCleaner v.s. Windows 7 Pro (SP1)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RVAH-12

RVAH-12

• Banned
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 11:02 PM

CCleaner keeps pointing to a registry error ... see below:

ActiveX/COM Issue InProcServer32\%SystemRoot%\SysWow64\boefwm.dll HKCR\CLSID\{3E6766FF-6CB0-CA70-7997-0B8905B5CBF4}

To be frank (but please don't call me Frank), I'm like a 'babe in the woods' with the Registry these days.  Is this a "legitimate error" from CCleaner, or should I just ignore it.

- RVAH-12

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 11:57 PM

Hi and :welcome: to BC
Usage of registry fixing or cleanup tools are not appreciated by our community, neither Microsoft due to the bad effects of registry cleaning. There is no much issue, even if the registry keys leftover is present in the system.
Hope it helps. :)
Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#3 RVAH-12

RVAH-12
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:09 PM

"Usage of registry fixing or cleanup tools are not appreciated by our community, neither Microsoft due to the bad effects of registry cleaning."

Really?!  I see discussions on all sorts of utilities.  Even recommendations.  For example why is JRT acceptable to discuss and even promote, and my 'other' cleaner can't be.  This kind of shocks me.  BTW, I just updated my 'other cleaner' and this situation no longer exists.  Sorry Microsoft.

- RVAH-12

Edited by RVAH-12, 26 August 2015 - 04:15 PM.

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:52 PM

For what it's worth: Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners (and neither does Microsoft).

Junkware Removal Tool is a specialized malware removal tool, and thus cannot be compared to registry cleaners.

#5 RVAH-12

RVAH-12
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:37 PM

Much thanks to quietman7 and Alexstrasza for setting me straight.  The fact is, I do 'clean' my registry too often.  I also used an Emisoft product.  [wink to Alexstrasza]  It's a habit from the old days when the registry used to get bloated and caused problems.  I do use Revo Uninstaller Pro and it seems to do a great job.  I'll use that, and leave well enough alone. 

Thanks again - RVAH-12.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users