Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

JRT v.s. Ghostery

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RVAH-12

RVAH-12

• Banned
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 10:49 PM

Just to keep A off my back.  IN MY OPINION,  I just ran my bi-weekly JRT and it does not like Ghostery ... and removed it from registry (see below).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) by Thisisu
Version: 6.8.4 (05.29.2015:1)
Ran by Article_86 on Tue 08/25/2015 at 21:33:29.22

~~~ Services

~~~ Tasks

~~~ Registry Values

~~~ Registry Keys

Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{6BF739DD-3323-4C6A-975B-C7E00A50B154}

Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{6BF739DD-3323-4C6A-975B-C7E00A50B154}

Successfully deleted: [Registry Key]

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{6BF739DD-3323-4C6A-975B-C7E00A50B154}

~~~ Files

~~~ Folders

Scan was completed on Tue 08/25/2015 at 21:36:52.80
End of JRT log

IMO, From what I've seen it (Ghostery) provided a useful purpose.  IMO, I was able to opt-out of sending them back information that they use to sell advertisers a rival program.  IMO, Now THAT is marketing! lol  (IMO, Don't take MY word for it, look into it).  IMO, Once JRT removed the registry entries I HAD to finish the poorly performed 'removal' by JRT, with a complete removal with Revo Uninstaller Pro (which I recommend).  IMO, But before I reinstall Ghostery I'd like to see what others think of it.  JRT was the only scanning software that didn't like it.  Was I a dope for installing it (Ghostery), or for using JRT?

P.S.  IMO, Sorry for all the IMO's ... just making a point to a special, certain someone.

- RVAH-12

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 12:04 AM

Hi,
Please download and use the latest version of JRT. Your version is almost 3 months old. Download it from here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/junkware-removal-tool/
Also, keep in mind that JRT is a one shot tool for removing junkwares from the machine.
Please donot duplicate your thread.
Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,591 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:11 AM

If the current version does the same with Ghostery, you can report it to the developer (thisisu) in this topic.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:22 AM

@ RVAH-12

If you are experienced enough, I would say to try ZHPCleaner instead of JRT (I now run it every few days), you can edit ZHP like AdwCleaner.

Based on the outcome and reports it puts out, it is as good as AdwCleaner or JRT .. I used the other tools, but still turned up 18 "errors" with the first run of  ZHPCleaner .

• Download ZHP Cleaner  by Nicholas Coolman.and save it to your desktop
  • Temporarily Disable your Anti-virus to avoid clashes (like with JRT)
  • Right click the new icon and select Run as Administrator
  • Click on "I Agree" to continue, and Update the tool if asked
  • Close all open programs while using the tool and shutdown your antivirus to avoid any conflicts.
  • Click Scanner and let it run, be patient as this can take a while depending on your system and problems.
  • Click on Report and post the Scanner Report log [R] back here if you need advice.
    Once you are happy with the log then continue.
  • Now you run Repair section of the program.
  • This will usually only take a few seconds, as the information is in the Report log already.
  • You will have a Repair log [S] on your desktop

It is currently being discussed on Wilders Forum, and also on Major Geeks forum at the moment, or was recently..(sorry but I lost the links to their links)

NOTE : I have nothing to do with the tool, but I am just a very interested (now ) every day user.

Acer Computer with LG Monitor and Toshiba Laptop with Windows 7.1

Windows 64bit  8.1 - Always fully updated

Firefox / Google Chrome / Internet Explorer Browsers

Usually a home helper here or with friends and nimble fingered ladies who would rather sew or dust, but not clean the bugs out of a computer ...

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,591 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:22 AM

While ZHPCleaner is another alternative, the issue with JRT needs to be reported if it indeed is targeting legitimate programs. Feedback from users is one way security tool developers like thisisu depend on to take corrective measures. This forum is for making such reports, not for assistance with malware/adware/PUP removal and posting logs. That type of individual help is provided in the Am I infected? What do I do? Forum.

#6 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:52 AM

Hi,
This issue may be due to outdated JRT and new version of ghostery.
Anyway, issue has been reported at SH library topic.

Edited by Nikhil_CV, 26 August 2015 - 07:53 AM.

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#7 RVAH-12

RVAH-12
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:30 PM

Much thanks to one-and-all for the advice and direction.  I will reload Ghostery and try again with an updated JRT.  This still nags me ... I thought that JRT was supposed to update automatically upon execution.  Weird, but thanks again.

- RVAH-12

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,591 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:17 PM

Before using the tool, if JRT detects an active Internet connection, it is supposed to download the latest copy and relaunch itself automatically...that was introduced in v6.8.5.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users