Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Task Manager Randomly Blocked?!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 crashley1784

crashley1784

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 14 July 2006 - 09:01 PM

Um, this problem started a few days ago. When I try to access my task manager, it says that my tast manager has been blocked by administration. This is not the case, as I only have one account on my computer, and I have not changed any settings. I've recently had some strange activity on my computer that I believe are viruses, but my antivirus (Avast) is not picking them up, nor my Adaware. There is a file called "per.exe" that keeps popping up here and there on my zone alarm. Has anyone had a problem similiar to this? Please help :thumbsup:

Update: I'm also being constantly assaulted by some form of adware. Avast pops up every 10 secs or so with a warning. It says it's from [url=http://85.255.117.124/users/rainy...(don't]http://85.255.117.124/users/rainy/web/images and contains an instance of Win32:Adan-078[Adw]
Can someone PLEASE tell me how to kill this thing??! *cries out for help*

Edited by crashley1784, 14 July 2006 - 11:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 14 July 2006 - 09:06 PM

per.exe-

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/per.exe-11871.html

#3 moomoo

moomoo

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 15 July 2006 - 06:31 AM

lol i waz gonna say probably a virus..
u should look at this form microsoft its a zotob c...ill post if i find any more info

http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/zotob.mspx

jeez...ok this is wat u need to do...turn off ur infected computer and use another 1 cuz i just found out zotob.c is remote access so turn it off and wait for a solution and use another comp
heres a link for symantecs on it

http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.zotob.c@mm.html

ok...go into system32 and look for a file called per.exe,2pac.txt,and haha.exe

Zotob C removal by Norton

Removal using the W32.Zotob Removal Tool
Symantec Security Response has developed a removal tool to clean the infections of W32.Zotob.C@mm. Use this removal tool first, as it is the easiest way to remove this threat.

Manual Removal:
The following instructions pertain to all current and recent Symantec antivirus products, including the Symantec AntiVirus and Norton AntiVirus product lines.

Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP).
Remove all the entries that the risk added to the hosts file
Update the virus definitions.
Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected.
Delete any values added to the registry.
Reenable the SharedAccess service (Windows 2000/XP only).

For specific details on each of these steps, read the following instructions.

1. To disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP)
If you are running Windows Me or Windows XP, we recommend that you temporarily turn off System Restore. Windows Me/XP uses this feature, which is enabled by default, to restore the files on your computer in case they become damaged. If a virus, worm, or Trojan infects a computer, System Restore may back up the virus, worm, or Trojan on the computer.

Windows prevents outside programs, including antivirus programs, from modifying System Restore. Therefore, antivirus programs or tools cannot remove threats in the System Restore folder. As a result, System Restore has the potential of restoring an infected file on your computer, even after you have cleaned the infected files from all the other locations.

Also, a virus scan may detect a threat in the System Restore folder even though you have removed the threat.

For instructions on how to turn off System Restore, read your Windows documentation, or one of the following articles:
How to disable or enable Windows Me System Restore
How to turn off or turn on Windows XP System Restore

Note: When you are completely finished with the removal procedure and are satisfied that the threat has been removed, reenable System Restore by following the instructions in the aforementioned documents.

For additional information, and an alternative to disabling Windows Me System Restore, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base article: Antivirus Tools Cannot Clean Infected Files in the _Restore Folder (Article ID: Q263455).

2. To remove all the entries that the risk added to the hosts file

Navigate to the following location:

Windows 95/98/Me:
%Windir%
Windows NT/2000/XP:
%Windir%\System32\drivers\etc

Notes:
The location of the hosts file may vary and some computers may not have this file. There may also be multiple copies of this file in different locations. If the file is not located in these folders, search your disk drives for the hosts file, and then complete the following steps for each instance found.
%Windir% is a variable that refers to the Windows installation folder. By default, this is C:\Windows (Windows 95/98/Me/XP) or C:\Winnt (Windows NT/2000).

Double-click the hosts file.
If necessary, deselect the "Always use this program to open this program" check box.
Scroll through the list of programs and double-click Notepad.
When the file opens, delete all the entries added by the risk. (See the Technical Details section for a complete list of entries.)
Close Notepad and save your changes when prompted.

3. To update the virus definitions
Symantec Security Response fully tests all the virus definitions for quality assurance before they are posted to our servers. There are two ways to obtain the most recent virus definitions:
Running LiveUpdate, which is the easiest way to obtain virus definitions: These virus definitions are posted to the LiveUpdate servers once each week (usually on Wednesdays), unless there is a major virus outbreak. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by LiveUpdate, refer to Virus Definitions (LiveUpdate).
Downloading the definitions using the Intelligent Updater: The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are posted daily. You should download the definitions from the Symantec Security Response Web site and manually install them. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by the Intelligent Updater, refer to Virus Definitions (Intelligent Updater).

The latest Intelligent Updater virus definitions can be obtained here: Intelligent Updater virus definitions. For detailed instructions read the document: How to update virus definition files using the Intelligent Updater.

4. To scan for and delete the infected files
Start your Symantec antivirus program and make sure that it is configured to scan all the files.
For Norton AntiVirus consumer products: Read the document: How to configure Norton AntiVirus to scan all files.
For Symantec AntiVirus Enterprise products: Read the document: How to verify that a Symantec Corporate antivirus product is set to scan all files.
Run a full system scan.
If any files are detected, click Delete.

Important: If you are unable to start your Symantec antivirus product or the product reports that it cannot delete a detected file, you may need to stop the risk from running in order to remove it. To do this, run the scan in Safe mode. For instructions, read the document, How to start the computer in Safe Mode. Once you have restarted in Safe mode, run the scan again.

After the files are deleted, restart the computer in Normal mode and proceed with the next section.

Warning messages may be displayed when the computer is restarted, since the threat may not be fully removed at this point. You can ignore these messages and click OK. These messages will not appear when the computer is restarted after the removal instructions have been fully completed. The messages displayed may be similar to the following:

Title: [FILE PATH]
Message body: Windows cannot find [FILE NAME]. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.

5. To delete the value from the registry
Important: Symantec strongly recommends that you back up the registry before making any changes to it. Incorrect changes to the registry can result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Modify the specified subkeys only. For instructions refer to the document: How to make a backup of the Windows registry.

Click Start > Run.
Type regedit
Click OK.

Note: If the registry editor fails to open the threat may have modified the registry to prevent access to the registry editor. Security Response has developed a tool to resolve this problem. Download and run this tool, and then continue with the removal.

Navigate to the subkeys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
RunServices

In the right pane, delete the value:

"WINDOWS SYSTEM" = "per.exe"

Exit the Registry Editor.

6. To reenable the SharedAccess service (Windows 2000/XP only)
The SharedAccess service is responsible for maintaining Internet Connection Sharing and the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Firewall applications in Windows. (The presence and names of these applications vary depending on the operating system and service pack you are using.) To protect your computer and maintain network functionality, re-enable this service if you are using any of these programs.

Windows XP Service Pack 2
If you are running Windows XP with Service Pack 2 and are using the Windows Firewall, the operating system will alert you when the SharedAccess service is stopped, by displaying an alert balloon saying that your Firewall status is unknown. Perform the following steps to ensure that the Windows Firewall is re-enabled:

Click Start > Control Panel.

Double-click the Security Center.

Ensure that the Firewall security essential is marked ON.

Note: If the Firewall security essential is marked on, your Windows Firewall is on and you do not need to continue with these steps.

If the Firewall security essential is not marked on, click the "Recommendations" button.

Under "Recommendations," click Enable Now. A window appears telling you that the Windows Firewall was successfully turned on.

Click Close, and then click OK.

Close the Security Center.

Windows 2000 or Windows XP Service Pack 1 or earlier
Complete the following steps to re-enable the SharedAccess service:

Click Start > Run.
Type services.msc

Then click OK.

Do one of the following:

Windows 2000: Under the Name column, locate the "Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)" service and double-click it.
Windows XP: Under the Named column, locate the "Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) / Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)" service and double-click it.

Under "Startup Type:", select "Automatic" from the drop-down menu.

Under "Service Status:", click the Start button.

Once the service has completed starting, click OK.

Close the Services window.

I suggest downloading the tool and then going through it step by step..

Edited by moomoo, 15 July 2006 - 06:41 AM.

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 15 July 2006 - 07:25 AM

Why not find out how much the computer is infected and then get all of it cleaned at once. Please run this and then a person from out HJT team will diagnose the log file and take you thru the proper steps for cleaning everything

I suggest you post a HijackThis log for examination.
A member of the HijackThis Team will walk you through, step by step, how to disinfect your computer.
Once you post your log, don't make any changes to your system, as that could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

Read Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Please read, and follow, all directions carefully!!!

Then, run a log, and post it in the HijackThis forum, at this link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/ Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a while to get a response, because the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, as these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:

Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users