Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet disconnects while watching videos

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TheNightowl

TheNightowl

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:16 PM

I'm having an issue with my connection dropping while watching videos on an XP machine.

I will be watching a video, and usually about 7-10 minutes in, it freezes. I used to back out and refresh several times to get it going from the beginning again. Figured the slow connection.

I also have another computer with windows 7. When the XP machine freezes, I switch over to the 7 machine and see the internet connection is gone. Both on the same router using one monitor. I assume this has been happening for some time because I never thought to look at the connection before. I didn't have an icon on the taskbar for the XP until now. Now I don't need to switch over to see no internet. 

What could be making this happen? I only have the basic DSL, but this only happens on the XP machine. The win7 will freeze during videos, but it doesn't drop the connection. I have ran many virus scans with no luck (as if finding one is luck).

When it drops, I either have to wait 5-10 minutes for reconnection, or I go to the router UI and it seems to get right back on after I click any setting in the router.

Any suggestions appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheNightowl

TheNightowl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:30 PM

Yesterday I bypassed the router and went straight to the modem. It was better but still froze my internet. I had to go to repair network connection to get it back.

No one has any ideas?

#3 TheNightowl

TheNightowl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 04:24 PM

I no longer use the XP machine but my Win7 is also locking up both the modem and router after 7 minutes into an online video.

I have a D-LINK DSL-520B modem and an Asus AC1900 router. My first post was while using a TP-Link router which I pulled because I thought that was the problem. Well I have the same problem that's ongoing with the new Asus.

Again, when I'm watching an online video, about 7 minutes in it freezes. I look down at my internet connection icon and there's that exclamation mark on it. I can't get back online unless I shut down both modem and router for at least 20 minutes. I turn the modem back on and wait for it to do its thing, then turn on the router and wait for it to do its thing. Sometimes I'm back online sometimes not. When not I connect directly to the modem and have internet. That's when I do a factory reset on the router. Then I can get both to work. When I'm having this problem, my internet service provider says I have 2 devices trying to sign on? And THEY DON'T LIKE THAT. My ISP is ppoe but I set the router to auto. When I set the router to ppoe, I have to put my ISP username and password in or it won't let me continue with set-up. I assume that was the 2nd device trying to sign on so I took it back to auto. Still have this problem daily no matter which way I have it set. Asus refuses to help because its a T-Mobile branded router, and D-Link has yet to reply to my support question.

I can't be the only one on this planet that has or has had this issue? Someone please help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users