Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help building computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Drpnsmbd

Drpnsmbd

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:12 PM

Hello,

I'm currently finally building a computer (I don't know what took me so long) after using a mac. My budget is $200 for a GPU and $100 each for any other components (ie CPU, PSU, RAM). I have a list of the components I plan to buy but I want people who know what they're talking about to look it over and tell me what I can get to have the max performance with my tight budget. I already own a basic desktop motherboard, a Rocketfish 600W peak (500W continuous) PSU and 8GB of RAM.

-Monitor: Acer  21.5-inch Full HD $99.99

-Chassis: Sentey GS-6011 $64.99

-GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7970 OC $190.00

-CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 $79.95

-Hard drive: Seagate 3TB HDD Sata 6GB/s $89.99

-keyboard/mouse: HAVIT Lammergeir and E-blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Wireless gaming Mouse $83

OPTIONAL

-RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 $77.99

-Kingston 120GB SSD (dedicated for steam) &47.99

-AM3+ AMD 970 SATA Motherboard (I already have a basic desktop one and I dont care for overclocking) $64.99

What can I improve on?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:26 PM

What is the make and model of this motherboard you have?  This will determine a lot of other things you can use.

The Phenom II is a 6 year old CPU and is quite an unusual choice for building a new PC now, to be honest.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 Drpnsmbd

Drpnsmbd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:34 PM

What do you recommend for the CPU? I want to be able to run new games, Im talking AC Syndicate, even if its at a low setting. My motherboard is from a Dell Optiplex 755. Dont judge lol. I know the motherboard doesnt affect normal performance unless overclocked, but Im not looking to overclock. 

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 10:41 PM

I'm afraid that motherboard is not going to be much good.  It's a Socket 775 motherboard, which takes Intel Core 2 processors (production ended 2011).  The AMD processor you mention won't even fit it as it uses an AM2 socket.  Also it's by Dell and looks like it's a non standard form factor (often the case with Dell, HP etc.), so may not fit in a standard ATX style case easily.

What CPU would I recommend now?  Personally I think the AMD X4 860K offers great value for money in budget systems.  Things like the FX6300/FX6350 (6 core) also rate well in terms of bang for buck.  The Core i3 is often overlooked by enthusiasts because it's dual core (with hyperthreading), but is a strong performer in games that don't require more than two physical cores (has higher single thread performance than the AMD chips).

Here is some example builds.  You can of course play around with them and edit them to suit your preferences.  PC Partpicker should not let you mix components that are incompatible with each other..

AMD X4 860K with R9-380 GPU - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/F9Z8gs

AMD FX-6300 with R9-285 GPU - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/H83FNG

Personally, I would get a new PSU.  It's up to you, but I haven't seen much positive comment on Rocketfish (Best Buy/Huntkey) PSU's.  The 8gb may be usable if it's DDR3.  If it's DDR2 then no current motherboard will take it.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Drpnsmbd

Drpnsmbd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 10:48 PM

Thanks! Ill bookmark those CPU's. What about motherboards? Im not looking for anything fancy, just cheap yet compatible with most modern components.

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 11:05 PM

Obviously the first thing is they work with whatever CPU you want to use.  The motherboards for the AMD FX (AM3+ Socket) series are generally more expensive than those for the Athlon X4 (FM2+ socket).  FM2+ boards are more commonly Micro ATX size, while the AM3+ boards are mostly full ATX size.  FYI - a Micro ATX motherboard will go in a full ATX case, but a ATX motherboard will NOT go in a Micro ATX case :)

Next it's a case of finding one with the features that match what you need.  I suggest where possible getting one with 4 RAM slots rather than 2, for better flexibility.  SATA III and USB 3.0 are worth having (and common on everything bar the cheapest boards now).  I think the ones I chose in the builds linked above are reasonable in terms of price/quality/features.  You can save a few $ by going for cheaper brands like Biostar or Asrock.  I tend to go for Asus or Gigabyte, but the cheaper brands have their fans too..  Check out reviews if in doubt.  More expensive boards tend to have better cooling, and things aimed at overclockers which I know you are not interested in, so no need to go for top end motherboards.

Edited by jonuk76, 25 August 2015 - 11:08 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 Drpnsmbd

Drpnsmbd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 11:45 PM

Thank you very much. (I also goto Gigabyte too)

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:51 AM

You're also going to need to buy a copy of Windows for about $100, you can get the OEM version here, which is tied to the motherboard, or the full version here, which can be moved from one motherboard to another.

I agree with using Asus or Gigabyte boards.  If possible go with standard-sized ATX models since the components are a little more spread out and can cool better.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users