Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lifecam Cinema vs Studio Which Webcam Is Better??

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DJboutit

DJboutit

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 06:42 PM

I currently have a Logitech c615 it sucks low light sucks color is off in a room at night when a light it on anything further than 4ft to 6ft looks really blurry and outside with a decent amount of sun light it is really white on the screen.  I am looking for something better for inside a room with a light on at night and outside with a decent amount of sun pointed at objects that are 10ft to 20ft away.  Which of these 2 webcams is better Microsoft Lifecam Cinema or Studio??

Edit: Moved topic from General Chat to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 12 May 2016 - 07:10 PM

I don't own a "Cinema". I DO own a "Studio", and it works well. My problem with all of these cameras is the rubber mount intended as a laptop or monitor clip. They have a 1/4-20 socket at the very end that, when mounted on a tripod, allows the camera to flop all over the place (See photo at link below). Definitely not good for documentation. I use my LifeCam to take stills for documentation purposes because it's handy and connected directly to the confuser.

My solution, and I'd LOVE to see Microsoft do this as a product, is to remove the rubber mount and replace it with a standard 1/4-20 brad hole t-nut (available from Ace Hardware for $0.70 under part number 2711L. Turns out the brad hole pattern exactly matches the camera mounting plate spacing. The tripod is available from Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/LimoStudio-Camcorder-Digital-Cameras-Camcorders/dp/B005CRKX3K?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&ref_=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_0

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxmJYBWrgaIcS0IwZmYtM3JNdXc&usp=sharing

The other bone I have to pick with M$ is the lens cover. It DON'T usually. It just falls off, which is why the frosty tape on the cover, to hold it in place. Common, M$, you can do a LOT better than that.

Edited by davnel, 13 May 2016 - 01:36 AM.

#3 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 06:23 AM

~Animal:

Would you please see that Microsoft's webcam division sees this?

As for the lens cap, a small ridge on the outside of each tab with a machined groove on the inside of the shell will go a long way toward making this work right.

Thank you,

Davnel

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:37 AM

~Animal:

Would you please see that Microsoft's webcam division sees this?

How would Animal do that?

#5 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:50 AM

The Studio is higher resolution

The Studio is more expensive

Specs for both are available on the Microsoft web site.

Whether either of them are better than your Logitech I don't know - my LifeCam Cinema seems OK to me & I'm not convinced that you need anything better for use as a webcam.

Edited by rqt, 14 May 2016 - 10:51 AM.

#6 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 11:04 AM

~Animal:

My apologies. I thought you folks were in contact with them. I'll find another route.

As for the camera, as I said, I use mine for documentation purposes and need the clarity and resolution of the Studio. See photo #3 in the collection. That was done by hand, no tripod or stand. Very jittery at my age. That's why the mods to the mount, which work well, BTW.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users