Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do i need a new PSU ?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 IndisciousWrath

IndisciousWrath

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 06:01 PM

Hello,

system:

Win10

GTX 760

16 GB RAM

i5 4670K

and a noname PSU --> made in china (not being racist thats whats written on the PSU) 

Name: Delta electronics DPS-600WB A 80+ Bronze (according to the internet) (multi rail ?), Input 100-127V 50-60hz 10 A ; 200-240V , 50-60hz, 4A ;

Output: +12Va - 16A ;+12Vb-18A;+12Vc-12A;+12Vd-10; +5.08V-16A; +3.3V-15A;+5.08Vsb-2.5V;-12V-0,3A --> Max Power 600W

So,i want to upgrade my GPU from a gtx 760 to a gtx 970 (i know some of you may tell me thats not a good card but i want it cuz there's a small version of it and thats what i need) and so i was thinking if this would be enought of a PSU to run this "beast" without "BOOM" is it possible or "okay" to run it with my PSU ? or Upgrade ?

PS:wasnt paying attention to grammer etc.

hope y'all can help me :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 06:19 PM

Should be fine.  Delta Electronics make high quality OEM power supplies for large PC builders and other companies like Antec (and for what its worth, almost ALL PC PSU's are made in China!).  Delta, along with Seasonic and one or two others are amongst the best regarded OEM's.

A stock GTX970 actually uses less power than a GTX760 - due to the new "Maxwell" architecture being more power efficient.  Official Nvidia figures for graphic card power consumption are GTX760 170w, GTX970 145w.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 IndisciousWrath

IndisciousWrath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 08:15 AM

Should be fine.  Delta Electronics make high quality OEM power supplies for large PC builders and other companies like Antec (and for what its worth, almost ALL PC PSU's are made in China!).  Delta, along with Seasonic and one or two others are amongst the best regarded OEM's.

A stock GTX970 actually uses less power than a GTX760 - due to the new "Maxwell" architecture being more power efficient.  Official Nvidia figures for graphic card power consumption are GTX760 170w, GTX970 145w.

well,it says that i need atleast 12v 45 a rly enough ?

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 08:57 AM

The card won't need 45A @12v (that's 540 watts by the way).  Pre-Overclocked editions of the card can pull up to about 210w at absolute maximum load (assuming no additional overclocking) - http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_970_Gaming/25.html

So yes, it should be fine.  If you want to buy a new PSU anyway, that's fine too, your choice.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 IndisciousWrath

IndisciousWrath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 09:03 AM

and,its only a 80+ Bronze sp idk is it even "safe"

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 09:12 AM

80+ Bronze is the efficiency certification.  Means it's certified to have the following minimum efficiency levels:

Attached File  80plus.PNG   17.4KB   0 downloads

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 IndisciousWrath

IndisciousWrath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 10:08 AM

well yeah but so theres no problem with only 16 a on 12v ? and is this a multirail ? (sry for asking 2 much)

Edited by hamluis, 27 August 2015 - 04:36 AM.

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 11:31 AM

It's a slightly unusual arrangement for a 600w PSU, and I'm not sure what the actual power distribution is.  Nor can I find documentation showing it on the Delta site.  But if it's sensibly distributed, then it shouldn't be a problem (with one card).  If you plan to SLI then a new PSU would definitely be the way to go.

Multi rail power distribution is for safety reasons.  The idea is that the PSU will shut down if any of those single rails overloads.  With a single rail high power PSU (say 1 x 60A 12v rail), the "safety cut off point" is so high that in the event of a short circuit, the draw is likely to destroy components or melt the wires before it shuts off the power supply.  Not ideal.  Here is a good write up on multi rail vs. single rail - http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3990

The PCIe spec calls for 75w maximum per 6pin cable (i.e. 6.25 Amps) and 150w maximum on an 8pin PCIe cable (12.5 Amps).  A further 75w can be taken through the card slot.  If the power supply has those cables then as Delta is a reputable manufacturer, it's pretty safe to assume that they can comfortably provide the required amps to meet those requirements.  Where there is some doubt, is if you have to use adapters...

GTX970's exist with 2 x 6 pin (225w) (reference design),  1 x 8 pin (225w) (e.g. Asus), and 1 x 6, 1 x 8 (300w) (e.g. MSI) arrangements.

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 IndisciousWrath

IndisciousWrath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:43 PM

Nkay very much appreciated man thx a bunch :)

Edited by hamluis, 27 August 2015 - 04:37 AM.

#10 IndisciousWrath

IndisciousWrath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 04:53 PM

It's a slightly unusual arrangement for a 600w PSU, and I'm not sure what the actual power distribution is.  Nor can I find documentation showing it on the Delta site.  But if it's sensibly distributed, then it shouldn't be a problem (with one card).  If you plan to SLI then a new PSU would definitely be the way to go.

Multi rail power distribution is for safety reasons.  The idea is that the PSU will shut down if any of those single rails overloads.  With a single rail high power PSU (say 1 x 60A 12v rail), the "safety cut off point" is so high that in the event of a short circuit, the draw is likely to destroy components or melt the wires before it shuts off the power supply.  Not ideal.  Here is a good write up on multi rail vs. single rail - http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3990

The PCIe spec calls for 75w maximum per 6pin cable (i.e. 6.25 Amps) and 150w maximum on an 8pin PCIe cable (12.5 Amps).  A further 75w can be taken through the card slot.  If the power supply has those cables then as Delta is a reputable manufacturer, it's pretty safe to assume that they can comfortably provide the required amps to meet those requirements.  Where there is some doubt, is if you have to use adapters...

GTX970's exist with 2 x 6 pin (225w) (reference design),  1 x 8 pin (225w) (e.g. Asus), and 1 x 6, 1 x 8 (300w) (e.g. MSI) arrangements.

and i have 1 6 pin and a 6+2 pin so 8 pin thats what i need right ?

#11 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 09:11 PM

Yes, that covers all possibilities.  The Gigabyte ITX card you mentioned in the other post has 1 x 8pin connector.

7sbvuf-6.png

#12 IndisciousWrath

IndisciousWrath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 08:16 AM

Yes, that covers all possibilities.  The Gigabyte ITX card you mentioned in the other post has 1 x 8pin connector.

nkay m8 thx for all your help ^^ 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users