Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice on new laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 IT_N8

IT_N8

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 05:05 PM

All right hardware techies!

I'm a DBA that has been using my work PC most of the time since my home PC is a dinosaur. I just started Grad school for Cybersecurity and will need to setup some VM's and install some tools that I'd rather not have on a work PC. As an IT professional, I know I want the i7 processor (assuming that's still the best?) for speed and performance. It will remained docked most of the time, but I really like the thought of having a large screen and a fairly slim model. For all of the newest features that I really want like SSD and Windows 10 Pro, most laptops are pushing 2k. My question is since MS is giving away Windows 10, could I save some $$ by getting a slightly older model w/ 7 or 8 Pro, then upgrading the OS. Has anyone had any issues w/ the upgrade? Also, it seems like SSD is still really expensive. Would I be better off buying with SSD already installed or upgrading that myself? I'm not a PC gamer, but really want to "future-proof" it as much as possible and also have all the features I use on a daily basis. (I do not want a MAC.) Any one have any recommendations on a great make/model or site to pick one up that would fit what I'm looking for, as well as a reasonable price?

Thanks!

Nate

Edited by hamluis, 26 August 2015 - 08:29 AM.
Moved from Building/Upgrading to Buying New - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,605 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 08:32 PM

The line of Lenovo machines is pretty large, many options to choose.  They bought their technology from IBM and have become dependable and easily serviced due to the number of parts available from the mfgr.  All come with WIN10 at this time, the units have been tweaked to support the new touch interfaces.

#3 IT_N8

IT_N8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 10:06 AM

Awesome. Thanks! I found some Lenovos that I like, I just can't seem to find one w/ all the specs I'm looking for, and they don't let you customize them too much. Seems like I can find everything but about one key feature. The specs I'm looking for are:

14-16" screen

Core i7 processor

256-512 GB  SSD 

Windows 7-10 PRO (this seems hard to come by)

16 GB of RAM 

backlit keyboard

light & slim preferably

#4 1029rjmenvy17t

1029rjmenvy17t

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 01:39 PM

Hello,

You need a HP OMEN 15

it has 8.1 but you can upgrade it to 10 for free

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/Laptops/hp-omen---15t-quad-touch-laptop-l3y67av-1

Edited by 1029rjmenvy17t, 27 August 2015 - 07:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users