Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Latest Updates 8-25-15 (don't do it)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 RVAH-12

RVAH-12

• Banned
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 05:04 PM

Well, here we go ... again.  I had 2 "Important Security" updates today:

1) "Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7 - This update helps Microsoft make improvements to the current operating system in order to ease the upgrade experience to the latest version of Windows."

2) "Update installs Get Windows 10 app in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1 - This update installs the Get Windows 10 app, which helps users understand their Windows 10 upgrade options and device readiness. For more information about Windows 10, see Windows 10."

"This update applies to Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Internet Explorer 11 (IE11). Before you install this update, check out the Prerequisites section."

Other than deceiving us with the overall description "Important Security" updates, it's obvious that these are really Win 10 'preppers' .  I also still have the last week's "optional" updates that were discussed at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/587305/new-optional-updates-on-82115/ regarding Telephony Tracking (I voted no).  They remain uninstalled.

Back to today's deception :  It is apparent that MS will go to 'no ends' to force Win 10 down our throats.  IMO we should be offered an 'update' that will opt-out of the nonsense.  Something that tells them to BACK OFF!

- RVAH-12

Edited by hamluis, 26 August 2015 - 08:26 AM.
Closed per request - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 05:15 PM

It doesn't seems that there's any new updates being released today. What's their KB numbers? From which MS Bulletin are they?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 RVAH-12

RVAH-12
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 05:29 PM

It doesn't seems that there's any new updates being released today. What's their KB numbers? From which MS Bulletin are they?

[edit] I guess I should have posted this under "Windows 7 updates related to Windows 10 upgrade", but somehow I missed it.

Sorry A -

Stupid omission on my part. 

1) Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2952664)

Download size: 6.1 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Recommended [but listed in Control Panel as "Important" - R]

Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2952664

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com

2) Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3035583)

Download size: 664 KB - 763 KB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Recommended [but listed in Control Panel as "Important" - R]

Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3035583

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com

- RVAH-12

Edited by RVAH-12, 25 August 2015 - 05:37 PM.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 05:32 PM

These are not news. They are reissued with modifications, hence why they keep on appearing. Updates that are being reissued because they were changed/updated by Microsoft will appear as Important Updates, because they are seen as "fix" for the previous versions of the updates.

To sum it up, these updates are quite old, it's just that Microsoft is issuing them once more to correct issues in their previous version. They are on version 50 or 60 I think.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 RVAH-12

RVAH-12
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 06:09 PM

These are not news. They are reissued with modifications, hence why they keep on appearing. Updates that are being reissued because they were changed/updated by Microsoft will appear as Important Updates, because they are seen as "fix" for the previous versions of the updates.

To sum it up, these updates are quite old, it's just that Microsoft is issuing them once more to correct issues in their previous version. They are on version 50 or 60 I think.

"They are reissued with modifications ..."  =>If you say they are "not news" then what is?  I dug further into it and the "Important" label comes from under the "Security" umbrella in their definitions 'labels'.

"... these updates are quite old, it's just that Microsoft is issuing them once more to correct issues in their previous version."  => In my book, just because the KB# is the same doesn't mean that the "issue" [hate that word] isn't the same or worse.  Also, what does a "modification" to an old "issue" do, other than make it a NEW "issue"?  Sometimes I think you are biased, A.  I KNOW that I am.  ;-)

- RVAH-12

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 06:13 PM

If you say they are "not news" then what is?

Then they are exactly as I said, they aren't new, they are reissued updates that contains modifications since their last release.

In my book, just because the KB# is the same doesn't mean that the "issue" [hate that word] isn't the same or worse.

I know. I explained the reason why these updates are flagged as "Important", you are free to not be happy with it thought, but that's how it is.

Also, what does a "modification" to an old "issue" do, other than make it a NEW "issue"?

For you it's an issue, for the Windows system, it's an improvement since it fixes the previous version of that update that was released.

unite_blue.png

#7 RVAH-12

RVAH-12
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 07:33 PM

We could go back-and-forth like this forever.  I DO like to 'spar' with opposing ideas/thinking ... it's in my 'nature'.

Bottom Line(s): This is a Windows 7 Forum.  It is primarily here for Window 7 Users.  Windows 7 Users who like Windows 7 (for whatever reason)!  Windows 7 Users who DO NOT want Windows 10 on their personal/business property.  I post these update alerts to help those who are unaware of what MS is trying to do, and that is to 'grease the skids' for Windows 10 domination ... I do not exaggerate.  I know that you are a Moderator (of sorts) of this Forum, but from what I have seen of many of your discussions is an attempt to 'groom' everyone for Windows 10.  But again, this is a Windows 7 Forum, where Windows 7 Users have come to find a way to ESCAPE MS's heavy-handed attempts at Windows 10 domination.  That is the vast majority of discussions regarding Windows 10 in this forum ... how to STOP Windows 10, or any part of it, from being surreptitiously installed upon OUR machines.  Not "What can we do to make it easier for MS to do so", and not someone trying cajole others into 'drinking the Kool-Aid'.  You are welcome to call me out on facts .. even opinions, but your 'circular-logic' rebuttals are really wearing me out.  I won't give up to these kind of tactics.  Frankly, I'm way too tenacious to do so.  Sometimes I feel as though you are purposefully trying to push me into a fervor that will get me banned.  But if you insist upon this nonsense, I will 'look over your shoulder' at all times to catch you in a mistake/misrepresentation/bias.

- RVAH-12

#8 RVAH-12

RVAH-12
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 08:06 PM

If you say they are "not news" then what is?

Then they are exactly as I said, they aren't new, they are reissued updates that contains modifications since their last release.

Oh please, you're killing us with semantics.  - Art

In my book, just because the KB# is the same doesn't mean that the "issue" [hate that word] isn't the same or worse.

I know. I explained the reason why these updates are flagged as "Important", you are free to not be happy with it thought, but that's how it is.

Maybe in YOUR mind you explained it ... flawed logic as it is. - R

Also, what does a "modification" to an old "issue" do, other than make it a NEW "issue"?

For you it's an issue, for the Windows system, it's an improvement since it fixes the previous version of that update that was released.

Could that remark (above) be any more snarky? - R

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 08:19 PM

I'll be blunt with you, we already have tons of threads on BleepingComputer are these updates and the other ones that are related to Windows 10. Creating another one like you did, and about updates that are months old on top of that is pretty much useless. If you want, I would be happy to link you to threads where these specific updates are being discussed, it'll take me a few minutes only to do so.

This being said, the kind of feeling, attitude, etc. you have towards these updates, tons of users here share it and they all posted the same things already, it still doesn't change the fact that there's a reasoning behind these updates and their logic and whether you accept it or not, it's the truth. Simple as that.

unite_blue.png

#10 RVAH-12

RVAH-12
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 10:02 PM

Aura. -

"... it still doesn't change the fact that there's a reasoning behind these updates and their logic and whether you accept it or not, it's the truth. Simple as that."

You accuse me of bringing up "old" updates, but before you claimed these were a reissue of old updates, with modifications.  What they offered me today, were 2 'wolves wrapped in sheep's clothing', and that IS new.  Once again, you are spewing circular-logic to cover your mistake, or lack of grasp on your part ... so be it.  You distance yourself from the realities and your obvious grasp of what is going on.  If you can not fathom the crux of the problem, than stay within your depth.  As it stands, you only detract form the WHOLE POINT of what I was commenting upon.  You have done this before ... off-topic, hijacking of a discussion to forward your personal agenda .. haven't you?  It ruins the Forum, especially coming from a "moderator".

Overstatement of the obvious tells no one anything.  Claiming a vague "reasoning" for 'your side' of these topics does no one any good.  Please, stay within your 'comfort zone' ... your reach far exceeds your grasp.  IMO, I find you participation in these topics nothing more than a distraction and unproductive.  Don't read more into this than there is.  I applaud you in your attempt to help others.  How could I not.  But as they say, "the road the Hell is paved with good intentions."

I thought that we could be friends, but let's make a deal, I'll ignore you if you ignore me.  If I bother you as you do my sensibilities, than talk to a GM ... I'm going to.  And no more PMs, PLEASE.

- RVAH-12

#11 RVAH-12

RVAH-12
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 10:07 PM

Moderator - Please close this thread.  My alert has been stated, discussed, and restated.

Thank You - RVAH-12

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 11:09 PM

Fact: When msft issues/reissues/spits out an update/remodofication.....whatever !.....it is important.

Why?...because msft has a disturbing habit of screwing things up to the extent that those of us with their OS's hold our breath to see what greater misery they can inflict on us.....and those who do not use their os's stand by for yet another chuckle !

Quite correct RVAH-12....msft will pull out all the stops to to ensure that winX is unavoidable.....why?.....because that is how they will make their revenue. Information for sale !......and you and I will pay the price .

Edited by Condobloke, 25 August 2015 - 11:10 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#13 RVAH-12

RVAH-12
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 11:51 PM

Fact: When msft issues/reissues/spits out an update/remodofication.....whatever !.....it is important.

Why?...because msft has a disturbing habit of screwing things up to the extent that those of us with their OS's hold our breath to see what greater misery they can inflict on us.....and those who do not use their os's stand by for yet another chuckle !

Quite correct RVAH-12....msft will pull out all the stops to to ensure that winX is unavoidable.....why?.....because that is how they will make their revenue. Information for sale !......and you and I will pay the price .

FINALLY!  Someone who gets the general point.  'A' has obviously 'drank the Kool-Aid' and has been rendered irrelevant regarding the Windblows 10 "issue".  KUDOS!  IMO this Forum should vet the moderators as much as the moderators scrutinize us.  IMO.

- RVAH-12

#14 RVAH-12

RVAH-12
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 03:36 AM

Moderator - Please close this thread.  We are 'beating a dead horse' here.  Sorry for the adversarial way it turned out. 

- RVAH-12

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users