Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Password Problem

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 characterchange1

characterchange1

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:40 PM

Friend, who was given a laptop by my son, has entered a new password but has forgotten it just as quickly and therefore has no access to the computer. It is an HP Pavilion with Windows 8.1. Is there any way of overcoming this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:43 PM

Most computers/laptops have a recovery mode so you can reinstall the OS from scratch, just like it was when first purchased. Check the with the manufacturer/manual to see how the recovery mode is accessed. I do not remember if it changes from vendor to vendor.

I believe there is NO other way of clearing/recovering the password. If there was a way, I doubt anyone here would help you as you can not prove you own the machine.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 05:51 PM

Since the laptop was previously used by someone else tell your friend to reinstall the OS and take the laptop to out-of-the box factory condition.

By doing so, he/she can set it up the way he wants and likes and make it his/her own.

HP's have a built in recovery partition that can be used IF your son did not delete the partition. 

#4 characterchange1

characterchange1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:14 AM

A friend emailed the following to me this morning but it seems a little simplistic. Will pass on the info already supplied so thanks guys.

The reset will take some time to complete. Make sure your system is plugged in and is not powered off during the reset.

SOLUTION

Use the following steps to reset Windows 8:

From the login screen, click the power icon in the lower right corner of the screen.
While holding Shift, click Restart.
Click Troubleshoot.
Click Reset Your PC.
Click Next.
The system will reboot and begin Preparing to Reset the PC.
At the Reset your PC screen, click Just remove my files.
Click Reset.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 12:55 PM

It does sound a little too easy.  Usually if the computer is password protected you must enter a valid password before you can make any changes.

Do you have the previous owner's password?  Can you get it if you don't have it?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 01:33 PM

It does sound a little too easy.  Usually if the computer is password protected you must enter a valid password before you can make any changes.

Do you have the previous owner's password?  Can you get it if you don't have it?

It is easy. I did exactly what characterchange1 says on a friend's Toshiba laptop. It simply restored everything back to factory default. 

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 01:44 PM

It is easy. I did exactly what characterchange1 says on a friend's Toshiba laptop. It simply restored everything back to factory default. 

With Windows 8.1?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 characterchange1

characterchange1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 01:57 PM

Have previous pw.

#9 characterchange1

characterchange1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 03:06 PM

Sorry guys. Just texted him suggesting he try the p/w my son had set in the first place. It worked! He hadn't managed to change it after all. In his defence, he is 55years old and has never touched a computer before.

#10 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 03:22 PM

With Windows 8.1?

Yep!

Sorry guys. Just texted him suggesting he try the p/w my son had set in the first place. It worked! He hadn't managed to change it after all. In his defence, he is 55years old and has never touched a computer before.

Perfectly reasonable. :)

Glad the issue fixed itself!

Edited by Gorbulan, 26 August 2015 - 03:23 PM.

#11 chigosnake

chigosnake

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:17 PM

You could use a Boot CD like Hiren's Boot CD and select Mini XP. In the HBCD Menu, select Password Renew in the Passwords/Keys section. Click the "select target" button in the botom right. Select the Windows directory and click reset password for "existing user". After setting the password, you MUST select "Apply" and "Quit" restart the computer, and you should be able to log in.

Edited by chigosnake, 26 August 2015 - 04:18 PM.

#12 characterchange1

characterchange1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:22 PM

You could use a Boot CD like Hiren's Boot CD and select Mini XP. In the HBCD Menu, select Password Renew in the Passwords/Keys section. Click the "select target" button in the botom right. Select the Windows directory and click reset password for "existing user". After setting the password, you MUST select "Apply" and "Quit" restart the computer, and you should be able to log in.

If you read previous posts you will see that the problem has been solved. Nevertheless, your info may well be of use to others in the future, so thank you for your input.

#13 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:20 AM

Does it support Windows 7/8/8.1/etc?

#14 chigosnake

chigosnake

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:42 PM

It does support all Windows platforms, as far as I know.

#15 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 03:04 PM

It does support all Windows platforms, as far as I know.

Strange, as I thought Windows 8 and above did something secure like encrypting passwords.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users