Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless capability is turned off

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Meškis

Meškis

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 03:08 PM

Hello, a few months ago my laptop started randomly turning off its capability, however last week it turned off completely. It occasionally turns but not for too long. The wifi button does nothing, no matter how much or how I press it, it stays orange. At the mobility center the function to turn on wifi is greyed out. I tried checking BIOS, everything is fine there, I tried checking WLAN AutoConfig at services.msc, everything is fine, and ofcourse I tried different drivers and stuff to no help. The interesting thing is that I had mini usb wireless adapter and it made wifi work, however I accidentally broke it and am unable to buy a new one at the moment.

P.S. I should also mention that I tried to lower the roaming sensitivity, make it that the laptop does not turn off the adapter on power saving mode, checked whether radio is enabled, troubleshoot the problem as admin, with no help. The driver is Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn Wi-Fi Adapter. I pretty much tried everything out that I can find but nothing helped, hopefully someone will be able to help me. The laptop is HP ProBook 4540s. If you need more info I can gladly provide it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 03:23 PM

Hello, and Welcome Go here and download the first driver on the page.

PCI/ mPCI / CB(RT2860/ RT2760/RT2790/ RT309X/ RT35X2/ RT539X/ RT3290/ MT7630)  Dated 6/30/2015

In Device Manager Uninstall the current Wireless driver and then run the one I linked to. If I can remember correctly, it will ask if you want only the driver or the driver and complete software. Do the driver + software option. Reboot.

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 August 2015 - 03:24 PM.

#3 Meškis

Meškis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:30 PM

Sadly it didn't help :/

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,950 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 05:09 PM

See this HP thread for a possible solution. It seems you have to update the bluetooth driver. It the methods listed in the link does not work try the following. The link for the wireless button driver is for Windwos 8. What is your OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit. You may need to download the Hotkey driver but I need to confirm your OS.

This may be a hardware issue. You can confirm this by booting Puppy Linux  and see if wireless is functional. You can download it here and burn the iso to a disk by right clicking the iso file and selecting Burn Disk Image. If you do not have a disk available you can use a program called Rufus with a spare Flash drive. In Rufus make sure your flash drive is in the first dropdown box. Select MBR partition scheme. In the dropdown box that lists FreeDos select iso image and click the folder icon. Browse to the Puppy iso file and press Start. Because the flash drive will be formatted backup any data you have on the flash drive.

Attach the USB flash drive with Puppy and boot the computer. You may have a boot menu key you can press at boot and select the flash drive. You will get a Wireless Wizard box if it detects an active Wireless signal.

#5 Meškis

Meškis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 06:43 PM

It shows no internet connections and says wlan0 is down, my OS IS WINDOWS 7 x64

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,950 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 07:33 PM

When you say "it says wlan0 is down", this was the message from Puppy linux, correct? If this was a Puppy error I would have to say the wifi card is bad. If you feel comfortable doing it, remove the wifi card and re-attach. It may just be a matter or removing and reattaching the card. 

I understand you cannot purchase a wifi dongle at this time but you can get one on ebay for $4.95 if you should decide to purchase one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users