Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Upgrade Questions

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Seniorfeathers

Seniorfeathers

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 03:03 PM

Hi all i'm new to the forum as well as messing around with upgrading systems. I currently have a Dell Inspiron 11 3000 series 3137 laptop for school/life. I realize its by no means a "good" system, but it was awesomly cheap. I installed a new 8gb RAM stick into it yesterday and i'm already noticing an improvement in the quality of my system. I want to make a few more upgrades but i'm not entirley sure what to upgrade next. I would really like to get a new graphics card for it but I don't know if its possible to upgrade a graphics card on a laptop. Any and all help or adivce is greatly appreciated!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 03:27 PM

It's not usually possible to upgrade the graphics card on a laptop. Alienware made (makes?) laptops that had upgradeable video cards. However, the cards had to come from Alienware, and it was a poor investment on the users part anyway.

It is not worth upgrading a laptops video card even if it were possible. Small electronics are expensive so you will always get way more for your money if you stick to desktops.

If you need better graphics performance with a laptop you will need to buy a different laptop. What is your reason for wanting to upgrade your video card on the laptop?

#3 Seniorfeathers

Seniorfeathers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 03:42 PM

Thanks for the feedback! I popped the back off my laptop and discovered not much is upgradeable in general for my ltitle laptop. I wanted to upgrade a graphics card for simple pc games I have downloaded, no big RPGs or anything. Simple rom hacks I play to kill free time. I have a desktop but its a 2 in 1 deal by dell, The monitor and tower are one, would that be a better idea to invest upgrades on? That way at least I would have a nice home pc for gaming, videos, and running several programs.

#4 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 03:48 PM

Thanks for the feedback! I popped the back off my laptop and discovered not much is upgradeable in general for my ltitle laptop. I wanted to upgrade a graphics card for simple pc games I have downloaded, no big RPGs or anything. Simple rom hacks I play to kill free time. I have a desktop but its a 2 in 1 deal by dell, The monitor and tower are one, would that be a better idea to invest upgrades on? That way at least I would have a nice home pc for gaming, videos, and running several programs.

Nope! All-In-One computers like iMacs and that Dell thing are made from laptop parts. Your Dell All-In-One probably has a video card built-in to the motherboard. Non-upgradeable. You could upgrade the RAM but it probably is not worth it for gaming. Most games can't use more than 4 gigs.

If you want an actual machine to play games on, best course is to build a desktop from scratch. 

Edited by Gorbulan, 25 August 2015 - 03:48 PM.

#5 Seniorfeathers

Seniorfeathers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:31 PM

That was my fear, thanks for all the help its very much appreciated!

#6 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:47 PM

You're welcome. Good luck!

#7 Seniorfeathers

Seniorfeathers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 05:03 PM

If someone has the know how would this build me a decent gaming/work pc? I'm looking to spend under $400.

AMD A10-7850K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor

#8 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 12:33 AM

Forget the AMD hardware, 'tis slower than Intel. I see no graphics card choice, you will need to choose one for any kind of gaming. That will be a big determiner in your power supply choice.

Edited by Gorbulan, 26 August 2015 - 12:44 AM.

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:43 AM

A gaming PC for under $400 is not very doable.  AMD hardware is fine for gaming, but the A series is not on the caliber of their performance-oriented FX line of CPU's.  If you are doing any type of gaming, an integrated graphics card, such as the those embedded into the motherboard or in the CPU itself, are not ideal.  You will need a standalone card for gaming.  Plus, you will need to buy a copy of Windows.

A good choice for a basic gaming setup, and it will be over $400, would be something like this...

Swap out that CPU for the AMD FX-6300.

Swap out that motherboard for the ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0.

Swap out that case for the Rosewill CHALLENGER - Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case.

Add the EVGA GeForce GTX 950 or, if you can afford it, the ZOTAC GeForce GTX 960.

Swap out that PSU for a slightly better model, like the CORSAIR CX series CX500M 500W.

You also need an operating system like Windows 10 Home 64-bit OEM, or, if you want the ability to move your Windows installation to another PC, the full version of Windows 10 Home here.

You can keep your other components, they should be compatible.  If you have optical media you'd like to use (DVD's, Blu-Ray's, etc.), you will need an optical drive.

3939.png

#10 Seniorfeathers

Seniorfeathers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 10:58 AM

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-a78me35
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial-memory-bls2kit4g3d1609ds1s00
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/western-digital-internal-hard-drive-wd10ezex
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/rosewill-case-fbm02
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cx600m
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/amd-cpu-ad785kxbjabox

This is everything I have figured for the set up as of right now. Let me know if I left something off!

#11 Seniorfeathers

Seniorfeathers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 11:01 AM

Yeah I left out the operating system on purpose, Thanks for the advice DJBPace I'll look at those parts

#12 Seniorfeathers

Seniorfeathers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 11:55 AM

The set up you suggested is actually not much over 400, and after the operating system and such i should still be under 600, which is great!

#13 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 01:36 PM

You should not get Windows 10 just yet. There are numerous problems with games once a new version of the OS comes out. Give it six months. In the mean time, you can probably find a cheap copy of Windows 7 somewhere...and of course upgrade to 10 when the time comes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users