Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Power Shell Experience- Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 02:29 PM

Anyone know about this? It was causing problems with mother's computer,so she uninstalled it- cut her some slack -she is 86- I did some brief reading on it- but am not sure if it is a necessary part of Windows.Don't ask me how she got to it-but she did. The article i read said that it had something to do with hogging memory resources-do I need to reinstall it ,or can I leave it as is.?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 02:48 PM

Can you link the article where you read about "Windows Power Shell Experience"?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:12 PM

yes - Aura - i'm on my way to a rehearsal and won't be back for several hours-but will post when I return-- The Computer seems to be functioning normally- but i don't know it Power Shell is a needed part of the OS?

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:24 PM

Powershell is a feature of Windows, mainly used by advanced user and Sysadmins.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_PowerShell

I doubt your mom needs it to be honest, and I doubt you do.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:05 PM

Well- I don't know what is going on, but the Windows Start button no longer works correctly- Search is unresponsive- you can only get options by right-clicking the start button- i.e shut down,restart etc. the familiar GUI windows interface is gone- so i am running a scan with malwarebytes and will post the results- I probably should move this topic to a different forum- also Metro desktop is gone- no tiles-nothing except the old Win 7 interface. Should i run a system file check?

#6 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 10:05 PM

I ran sfc/scannow and have the CBS Log- definitely corrupted files, but Windows was unable to repair them. Can i post the log here- or would that help?

#7 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 10:35 PM

How do i post a CBS.log?

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:17 AM

The CBS.log is often too big to be attached on forums. You have to ask it on a Cloud service like Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive and post the download URL for it here.

unite_blue.png

#9 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:05 PM

Haha- thanks Aura- i found that out when I tried to upload it to Photobucket- will try to get to it today! Read some instructions on how to use dism.exe to repair the system but post the Cbs.log here first.!

#10 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:02 PM

I can do a system repair from the windows 10 .Iso can't I?

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:12 PM

You can run a "Repair Install" from the Windows 10 .iso, yes. Simply mount it, access it and run setup.exe then pick the Upgrade option and you'll be in business.

unite_blue.png

#12 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:53 PM

Aura - i was burning the .ISO and my DVD burner finally died- I use it a lot! So- had to go to Frys and get a new one- only about 22 bucks for a generic burner,so got that installed and DVD burned.So -will get to Mom's computer tomorrow- will let you know what happens- Eset online Scanner found 2 viruses and 19 PUPs. I can't imagine what would wipe out the whole Win 10 interface----

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 05:18 AM

First time I hear of a DVD burner dying, these things looks like they can live on forever.

unite_blue.png

#14 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 11:12 AM

First time I hear of a DVD burner dying, these things looks like they can live on forever.

Are you being sarcastic? I have had several DVD burners die in my day.

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 11:56 AM

Not being sarcastic at all. It's really the first time that I hear someone saying that a DVD burner died on him. Usually, people change it for compatibility, or because a piece is broke, not because it completely stops working.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users