Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newly Upgraded Computer Wont Boot Up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 brant

brant

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:09 PM

Hi Everyone,

I recently upgraded my grandmothers computer to XP. I got this Windows XP disk from a friend of mine. It worked fine, just like it did on his machine, but now it won't boot up and work properly. It keeps asking me to connect to the Internet to fix it. I try and it says I can't. I can't get any straight talk from Microsoft. Do you know what I can do.

Here are the system specs -

IBM compatible computer running Windows XP.
600 MHz. Intel or AMD processor.
256 MB of memory.
VGA Monitor.
Uninterruptible Power supply.

Cheers,

Brant

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:18 PM

If it is installed on his,it probably won't work on hers.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#3 brant

brant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:34 PM

Though it worked fone for a while now itn not booting up??

#4 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:34 PM

Unless you have your own Key for the software, you cannot put the same Windows xp purchase on more than one computer. It is probably asking you to connect to Validate the software. Which it will just give you an error message and quit working and tell you to contact Microsoft. But, don't bother contacting Microsoft, if you are using the same Key that he used, you can't do that. Sorry ! Do you still have a copy of Win 98? You could format the drive and put Windows 98 on the computer. The only bad thing about that is Microsoft quit giving updates for Win98 on July 11th, so you can install it , but won't be able to get the Windows Updates.

#5 brant

brant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 06:48 AM

Its all good everyone. Bought new xp software.

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users