Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lagging when it Shouldn't Lag

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 INeedHelp123

INeedHelp123

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 01:08 PM

So I have a Dell XPS 13, with i5 3317U with HD4000 and it runs Sark Souls 2 perfectly on medium settings.

I also have an Acer Aspire S3, with exactly the same specs, even a new SSD, and it lags on low settings.

I'm sure I have all the right drivers installed. Chipset, intel HD drivers, everything.

And the lag is strange too. It will be extremely smooth for a second or so, and then it lags significantly.

When I'm walking in open space it lags less, then when I get to a cave entrance it starts lagging.

I thought it was a problem with the Acer S3 model, but then I tested it on my brother's Acer S3, and the same thing happened.

What could be the problem?

Specs:

- i5 3317u

- 4gb ram

- kingston V300 SSD

- Windows 7 64bit SP1

- not sure what else to list, it's a laptop....

I've tried:

- uninstalling and reinstalling drivers

- tweaking graphics settings to max

- setting computer power settings to "Maximum Performance"

- I could probably overclock it too, but given the other laptop works perfectly, I don't want to go there

Thanks

Edited by INeedHelp123, 26 August 2015 - 11:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 01:51 PM

You already have a thread in the General Help section. Please do not make duplicate threads, it does not help anyone. In fact, it may delay your help. For example, this post could have suggested something, but it did not.

#3 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 01:56 PM

The minium video card requirements for Dark Souls 2 are NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT/ATI Radeon HD 5870. I am not sure how those compare with Intel's HD 4000 series. Keep in mind Intel does not make high performance video cards/chips compared with Nvidia or AMD. Your Intel HD 4000 may not be up to the task of rendering Dark Souls 2 on medium. Try it on low and see if that yields a better and more consistent framerate, keep in mind it won't be anything compared to a "real" video card. At best, it may just suck.

#4 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 01:59 PM

According to Tom's Hardware GPU Comparison Chart your Intel HD 4000 comes in at...way less than a nvidia 7800 series. It is several tiers below the minimum, the Nvidia 9600. That chart is not extremely accurate in terms of performance, but it gives you a good idea. In other words, the HD 400 just ain't good enough for Dark Souls 2.

Edited by Gorbulan, 25 August 2015 - 01:59 PM.

#5 INeedHelp123

INeedHelp123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 02:04 PM

I was confused about which category to put it in, so put it in more than one.

Then I wanted to delete the copies, but I couldn't.

So I messaged a moderator.

But yes, I was being too hasty, next time I'll post only once.

And thanks for all the replies

Edited by INeedHelp123, 25 August 2015 - 02:10 PM.

#6 INeedHelp123

INeedHelp123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 02:07 PM

But my other laptop has the exact same specs, and it played perfectly.

I did set it to low but to no avail

Edited by INeedHelp123, 25 August 2015 - 02:10 PM.

#7 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 02:15 PM

Gorbulan

I was confused about which category to put it in, so put it in more than one.

When I was satisfied about which category was the best, I wanted to delete the copies, but I couldn't.

I then messaged a moderator.

But yes, I was being too hasty, next time I'll post only once.

Don't worry about it. The moderators will find it and place it in the appropriate category. 

But my other laptop has the exact same specs, and it played perfectly.

I did set it to low but to no avail

Are they exactly the same in every way? The clock speed of the HD 4000 changes depending on what CPU it is tied with. I heard that the HD4000's perform worse with certain CPU's. HD 4000 on your laptop should run between 350 mhz and 1050 mhz. It's not amazing, but its not bad either.

Edited by Gorbulan, 25 August 2015 - 02:15 PM.

#8 josiahgould

josiahgould

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 02:23 PM

HD4000 is not intended for gaming. Full stop. If it works on medium on that laptop then you're a wizard. How much RAM on both? What speed is that RAM? How much disk space do you have free on the one that works, and what size swap do you have? An SSD is awesome for dumping info in and out, but it has NOTHING to do with processing speeds. What's the processor in that S3? EXACT same, or just an i5? Generation matters a lot. MoBo chipset matters a lot. 

(And dude, it's a 3 year old ultrabook. From ACER. If it's still booting you've got a gem.)

Edited by josiahgould, 25 August 2015 - 02:26 PM.

#9 INeedHelp123

INeedHelp123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 11:00 AM

I'm not sure about the HD4000 being as bad as people say.

It was probably really bad before but from what I've heard the newest drivers introduced massive performance gains.

I'm 100% certain it works perfectly on my dell XPS 13 with i5 3317u, full specs are online.

But I can tell you it has the exact same specs, 4gb ram for both is probably the only thing I forgot to mention.

And one more detail I forgot to mention about the game.

After I installed the latest driver (on the problematic Acer) , it stopped lagging completely for the first minute or so.

Then the problem came back.

So I highly doubt it's an intrinsic problem with the HD4000 in general.

The reason I mentioned the brand new SSD is so that people know I don't have an aging hard drive.

Just eliminating hardware error possibilities as I go. 

Edited by INeedHelp123, 26 August 2015 - 11:15 AM.

#10 INeedHelp123

INeedHelp123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 11:01 AM

I know my hardware configurations. 

I built my own i7 920 on dx58so board w/ gtx275 build in late 2008, or before mid 2009 don't remember exactly

When I say it's an i5 3317u, I mean it. No doubts. It's in BIOS, and in device manager, not to mention the model number.

Thanks for all the replies people, but unfortunately I still don't have a definitive answer for this problem

Edited by INeedHelp123, 26 August 2015 - 11:14 AM.

#11 INeedHelp123

INeedHelp123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 11:46 AM

Since the Acer worked perfectly for a minute, then lagged, I thought it may be an overheating problem.

So I ran OpenHardwareMonitor

The Dell had 76C avg and 80C peak

The (problematic) Acer had 65C avg and 70C peak

Edited by INeedHelp123, 26 August 2015 - 12:36 PM.

#12 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 01:38 PM

Those temperatures seem pretty normal for a laptop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users