Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus That Doesn't Go Even After Formatting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JasonVictor

JasonVictor

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 11:10 AM

Sir,

My Dell Laptop (Inspiron 15 3521) is infected with a virus/malware/adware. I downloaded a game from the internet which led to the problem.
I have Norton 360 but it did not detect it, neither identifies it, nor is able to remove it.

The threat:
- Whenever I open a website, upon clicking anywhere on the page leads to a new tab which starts with ad-type.google.com and then switches to tradeadexchange.com and then to some other website (ilivid, fake facebook site, some mtnl page).
- The next time I click, nothing happens for a while and the website works fine but sometime afterwards the same thing happens again.
- The infection slows down my computer and I see 100% disk usage in the taskmanager

What I have tried to rectify this problem:
- Norton 360 full scan (boot scan option somehow does not get activated - I changed it to aggressive but upon restart, nothing happens and it gets back to 'off' state)
- Norton Power Eraser (did nothing)
- Other adware/malware removers from the internet (like adwcleaner - didn't find anything, malwarebytes - asked me to buy their software but how do i know whether it would remove it or not?...)
- Uninstalling and Reinstalling Chrome and Internet Explorer
- Resetting settings of both browsers
- Deleting extensions and plugins of browsers
- Searching for malicious softwares/processes running in background (did not find any)
- Searching in all kinds of ways in C Drive and also in regedit (found nothing)
- Using Dell recovery to restore factory defaults (Still the problem exists)
- Formatting C Drive and restoring factory defaults from a usb pen drive (Still the problem exists)
- I can't reinstall fresh win8.1 because Dell people did not give me a backup of the original win8.1 installed on my laptop. They did give me a pen drive saying that it contains original win8.1 but today I found that it only has Dell Recovery Software.

Now I am absolutely out of options...

I think that this virus has made its way to the roots - maybe the bios or partition table. I dont think boot is affected because after formatting it should have goten erased.
I dont think my personal D Drive could automatically infect C Drive. Could it?

Please find a cure to this because I am unable to use my Laptop at all. I am scared that it would collect sensitive information like my credit card details if I shop online. And the other problem is that is has gone so slow that sometimes it hangs and I have to shut it down.

I hope I have given a clear picture of this threat. Help me.

Thank You
- Jason Victor
Mod Edit:  Removed email address, protection from spambots - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 25 August 2015 - 11:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 josiahgould

josiahgould

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 02:13 PM

Format that drive. Deep. Not just wipe partitions, but a random overwrite - if it's persisting through reinstallations. Consider your USB drives infected until you have a way to scan them. 

Use another computer and go to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Make it on a disc if possible, if not use a FRESH USB drive, they're fairly cheap.

Try to reinstall again. If it still persists, burn the device (or maybe something got in your BIOS/UEFI?).

Good luck.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 02:37 PM

If it persists after that then..Please follow this Preparation Guide and post in a new topic.
Let me know if all went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 tahir40

tahir40

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 20 April 2016 - 05:07 PM

I have the same thing with my pc. When I click on a normal page it opens up ads generally tradeexchange com, sometimes german audio ads on webpage. I use USB drive to install windows 10 which i formatted by geniue windows iso. And after formatting whole ssd, after i boot the windows without installing anything i open up internet explorer or EDGE and it is right there... I installed windows 7, and it is there right after the installation when i open a browser. I tried Avast Premier, it just stops it when it opens a ads tab, but it does not clear the virus. Something like clickjack trj

JS-ClickJack-virus.jpg
I tried malwarebytes full scan nothing shows up and still ads coming to my page.
aa93340e0a1dfe92ecda5e81abd8ccca.jpg
When I install anything like nvidia driver, there shows up a window saying if i shall allow the software with outdated signature... I tried many antivirus malware software and nothing so far... I was hoping you found a solution because I am getting close to throw the pc out of the window! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users