Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista laptop has Black screen after booting up

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 destry.stevens

destry.stevens

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 08:53 AM

Hello my friends,

Having trouble with an HP Pavillion dv6423om running Windows Vista SP2 (32bit)(no recovery partition available). I am not sure what kind of event might have caused this. My daughter isn't a good historian that way. The machine boots quickly and fine right up to the desktop. I get a glimpse of a couple of updates (Adobe, and another one that I can't make out), that come up on the screen. Then it goes black. I can still hear the cpu fan running and all the touch buttons that are lit up above the keyboard are still lit. It seems to be running fine just no image on the screen, not evening the back lighting.

It boots in safe mode perfectly without problems. I first tried to restore to a previous date. I tried every date rolling back until I ran out of them. Wasn't that many however. I have uninstalled many programs and games that were unimportant to try to solve the issue, without positive results.I have run ADWCleaner, JRT, and Tweaking.com's Toolbox for Windows, all to no avail. What I would like to do is to perform a clean boot and then start to activate drivers in an organized fashion to pin the problem down.

Anyone have any good ideas to solve this issue? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:43 AM

Do a clean boot as explained here. You should be able to start msconfig in safe mode. If the computer boots normally you will have to enable a few startup and service items at a time to determine which is causing the problem.

#3 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:41 PM

The black screen is common with the HP pavilion series.  Class action suits were brought against HP as a result of their failure to correct known defects, but it's too late to benefit from them.  Sounds like you are having that same motherboard/chip overheating issue which has plagued thousands.  My niece (DV6426), my sister (DV9600) as well as several customers, have lost their Pavilions to the scrap heap.  HP offered no compensation, as the time limit had passed.  IN fact... HP doesn't even support the pavilion series on their site anymore!  The black screen you are experiencing is a hardware issue.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.  

I no longer buy anything from Hewlett Packard!

Google it, or check this link for more info:

https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome-psyapi2&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8&q=hp%20black%20screen%20lawsuit&oq=hp%20black%20screen%20lawsuit&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l2.17056j0j7

Edited by MarkMCS, 25 August 2015 - 05:09 PM.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

#4 destry.stevens

destry.stevens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:52 PM

I did the best I could do on the clean boot, working only from safe mode. I got it to start in normal mode with all unnecessary services and startup items turned off. I then started reactivating services 10 at a time until the event reoccurred. I was able to run every service except "Windows Event Log". Every time I activate that service, and restart the laptop, the screen turns black after booting up. I then went ahead and started activating startup items. I first used CCleaner to remove any startup items that weren't removed when the associated programs were removed. I then reactivated all the remaining startup items. The machine runs perfectly fine until I reactivate the "Windows Even Log". At that time the screen goes black. Any suggestions as to why?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 10:16 PM

That is the famous Vista Event log bug. Clear the Event logs and see if you still have a problem.

http://www.baltimoremick.com/blog/2009/04/05/windows-vista-and-the-problem-of-corrupt-event-logs/

#6 destry.stevens

destry.stevens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 03:58 PM

Yes that is the problem. Is there any residual affects from changing that directory name? By the way, I couldn't use those instructions fully. I had to rename the folder in windows instead of the directory via the cmd prompt. I couldn't navigate there with the command lines. The machine is running fantastically now though. Just want to make sure there isn't any thing I need to do to complete the process to ensure no further issues will occur with the Windows Event Logs.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 04:48 PM

Nothing else. Windows should have created another Logs subfolder. You can delete the Logs folder you renamed. The only thing you can do is to repeat the procedure if you get the black screen again. Maybe clearing the event logs ever so often would help.

Glad you got it sorted out and thanks for the update.

#8 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 05:26 PM

Hello Destry,

I'm glad JohnC was able to help you, and thrilled I was wrong about the Pavilion hardware issue.  I also wasn't aware of the Vista event log problem.

Take care.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

#9 destry.stevens

destry.stevens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:26 PM

Thanks for all your help guys. :bananas:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users