Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to text search inside e-mails and view results online

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Corne99

Corne99

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 06:47 AM

Hi all.

I thought I will share this nifty  tool with you.

smtpviewer.com

In a nutshell you create an acount on the site. You then setup a rule on the site which will do a text search inside e-mails and it's subject field for a specified string. If a match is found an alarm indicator is raised on the website. This is so handy.
I configured my company's various backup software to forward it's e-mail reports to monitor@smtpviewer.com and look for the search string "failed" . I can see under 10 seconds if anything failed. Saves me allot of time. Thanx guys at www.smtpviewer.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 03:43 PM

G'day Corne99 and Welcome to BC.

Is there any chance that this could be used as some sort of "early warning system" for emails containing the lead up to the various ransom/crypto variants.....as i understand it they quite often have their origin... in the shape of an exe disguised as something else in an email....which the unsuspecting click on.......and that is the start of their trouble....

Forgive my rather awkward attempt to say what i mean here....hope you get my drift.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 Corne99

Corne99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:21 AM

Hi Condobloke.

I think normal spam filters and Antivirus software would do a better job at this.  E-mails with payloads in them never ever looks the same or arrives from the same sender address. 

SMTPViewer is specifically designed to only act on e-mails received form address configured in the system. So if an e-mail comes form spammer@yahoo.com with the subject "ramsomeware infection " and you have an rule setup to raise an alarm  in SMTPViewer that states if the system  receives an e-mail from spammer@yahoo.com with the text string "ransomeware infection"  it will work.

Hope this helps.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:23 AM

Yes....it does help.

Thank you.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users