Dell Dimension DXP061
Intel® Core 2 CPU, 6600 @ 2040GHz
32-bit Operating System
Nvidia GeForce 7300 LE
I'll try to explain thoroughly as best as I can... I've never really been computer savvy, so please bear with me. x_x
I've recently been experiencing (often critical) strange graphical glitches - the 2 most common ones being:
1) whatever I'm mousing over gets a 'smearing' effect
2) vertical lines of mostly green, pink, and white will pop up at random points which always freezes the PC.
With the smearing effect, whatever portion of the screen I am moused over, the graphics will become 'smeared' and will drag the graphics wherever my mouse moves to. This has usually led to an eventual freeze. Curiously, I've been able to Ctrl+Alt+Delete to the Options screen a few times, and the glitch often doesn't seem to affect it. A couple of times I've waited several seconds and cancelled this screen and everything is back to normal... at least until one of these glitches eventually kicks in again, often ending up in a freeze.
With the vertical colored lines, it often occurs randomly... more so after I've started up the PC at any time (even after the PC has been shut down for several hours). The lines will remain for a few seconds, then the computer ends up freezing. This only started happening just over a week ago and I don't recall installing or uninstalling any kind of program around that time. I've only had my monitor for around a year or so.
I've already tried:
- Checking cables for loose connections
- Malware scans: using one scan at a time and found no malware
- Memory checks: no errors found
- Updating monitor and graphic drivers: updating my Nvidia card actually made things a lot worse so I had to use a rollback on it
- System Restore
- Careful dust removal on both the outside and inside of tower
I've also glanced at my 'Event Viewer' and it displays a large variety of recent errors I don't quite understand, but I'm not sure if posting any of these errors would be of any help (or how to at least post them properly if needed). I'm at my wit's end with this and don't want to have to purchase a whole new computer if it can be avoided. =(