Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question: How to Stop YouTube Streaming Spikes!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 justnukeit

justnukeit

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 02:52 AM

Router: Linksys
Model: E2500
Network Speed: 12 Mbps (1.5 MBps)
My OS: Windows Vista (Desktop PC)

Question:
How can I prevent another user on my network from intermittently hogging 100% of the bandwidth when he streams video?

Details:
There is a user on my network who streams video to his phone over WiFi. Every time he begins a new YouTube video, it spikes the living hell out of my router - sucking up every last ounce of available bandwidth for about 5 seconds, gradually getting a little better over the next 15-30 seconds.

This creates unbearable lag every time it occurs - and it occurs often, because the offending user 'bounces' from video to video once every 30 seconds. Every time he starts a new video, the internet is absolutely destroyed for everyone else. Come to think of it, he is basically inadvertently DDOS'ing my entire network through YouTube!

Through testing, I have determined the problem seems to be that YouTube allocates itself almost 100% of the network bandwidth during the first 15'ish seconds after starting a video (this is probably because YouTube wants to create a sizable 'buffer' in order to have smooth video). It is only after this time that YouTube throttles itself back, and starts streaming at a normal network usage rate. However, each time he starts a new video it, once again, spikes to 100%.

I would like to know what options I have to somehow prevent this from occurring, or at least diminish the effects.

Things I've already tried:

1) I have already used the QoS (Quality of Service) tab within my router's settings to make my computer's MAC address a HIGH priority, and all other devices on the network LOW priority. This has only barely helped the problem - I get a tiny bit less lag, but the spike still occurs and it is still extremely disruptive.

2) I have disabled the router's Wi-Fi Multimedia (WMM) support, as it claimed to be prioritizing WiFi traffic over wired traffic.

Other Notes:

- No, I cannot block this user as he is a legitimate user of the network.
- Yes, I have talked to this user (which is irrelevant to the problem anyway) and he is aware of the issue he is causing, but would prefer to find an automatic solution rather than change his habits.
- The user is watching video through his Android mobile phone. Perhaps there are apps or settings available which could throttle or cap his bandwidth usage?
- Perhaps there is a setting within YouTube itself which allows control of its bandwidth usage?

Thank you in advance!

Edited by justnukeit, 25 August 2015 - 03:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:30 AM

A fairly complicated (but effective) way of addressing this problem would be to install more powerful firmware on your router, to take greater control of your bandwidth. You router is compatible with dd.wrt which is a great free router firmware.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

There is much you can do besides limiting users bandwidth, and I suggest you have a good read of the material before jumping in.

I hope this helps

TsVk!

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 01:01 PM

The problem is 1.5Mbps isn't much bandwidth these days.  You could lower the bandwidth on the wifi.  So if set to 300mbps you can set to 150.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users