Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

METADATA.....so you think you are not tracked...????

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,786 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:44 PM

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-24/metadata-what-you-found-will-ockenden/6703626

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 08:10 PM

Yep, then they go and ransack your house and rob you blind. Or kidnap your kid.

#3 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 08:46 PM

Now that is just plain creepy. It's a good thing I never got a smartphone.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#4 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:34 AM

I :heart: my dumb phone. 

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 07:11 PM

Fascinating article - but there was nothing in it specifically related to 'smart' phones. almost all of this information came from he logs of which cell tower his phone was logged into plus some call duration and text message data. I hate to upset the Union_Thug and gigawert but plain ordinary 'dumb' mobiles - just like my one - collect and log exactly the same data.

One or two years ago there was a similar exercise carried out in Germany - a Member of the German Parliament was tracked, with his permission, in exactly the same way and with very similar results as regards his lifestyle history.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 08:07 PM

Fascinating article - but there was nothing in it specifically related to 'smart' phones. almost all of this information came from he logs of which cell tower his phone was logged into plus some call duration and text message data. I hate to upset the Union_Thug and gigawert but plain ordinary 'dumb' mobiles - just like my one - collect and log exactly the same data.

One or two years ago there was a similar exercise carried out in Germany - a Member of the German Parliament was tracked, with his permission, in exactly the same way and with very similar results as regards his lifestyle history.

Chris Cosgrove

Well, what if our "dumb" phones are off?

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 10:13 AM

When you are not using your phone and concerned about the possiblity of your movements being tracked, maybe consider placing the phone in a lead-lined envelope, that should stop all and any signals.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:28 PM

@gigawert #6   As I understand it 'dumb' phones - and smart phones - still log themselves into the the local cell tower when switched off. I don't know about the lead envelope but the only certain way to stop them logging in is to remove the battery. Which on some phones is just not possible.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 09:00 PM

Hackers can spoof a cell towers easily these days with readily available hardware and software to do it and little knowledge. Basically a man in the middle attack to capture the voice and capture txt messages, track your every move. That information can be devistatingly dangerous. They could log your routine daily movement and know exactly where you will be and mug ya. Rob your house. Track and kidnap children. It's irritating because the government doesn't want you to encrypt and secure your channels that's going against their interests. They want to track too, have a voice and face reconginition of everyone. The thing is, hackers can do the same thing and probably better if they focus all there time and efforts on one individual victim. Wait till terrorist start taking advantage of this tech stuff. The idiot car makers even put wifi into their cars and you can literally take control of someones car and crash it. :::Shakes head::: There has to be a line drawn here. Security comes first.

#10 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 01:41 PM

Post #8, the lead envelope would be impenetrable to all signals, it would have the same effect as taking out the battery, but would be simple matter of slipping the phone in and out of a container rather than powering it down and then on again later. The "envelope" would be a box just a little larger than the phone with a flap that could close to cover the end, a faraday cage could also be used with closely spaced wires to block signals, but then lead lined box would be more practical.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#11 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,714 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 06:28 PM

I'm waiting for the day when some of the info that gets collected gets used in some useful way.  So much clandestine and "black" operations collecting and putting together the relavent info in the investigation they happen to be working.  Finding other interesting law enforcement data may or may not be relevent but it does get notice.  It is a complete myth that you are safe in your home, but not if you use your phone or computer.  Anyone who protests this action by any federal agency gets a nice big checkmark next to their name.   Do not expect any privacy after you leave your home.   You have nothing to worry about if you are law abiding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users