Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Doesn't boot with Seagate Hardrive attached...?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Rufus Sniff

Mr Rufus Sniff

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:22 PM

Hey guys,

I've got a Lenovo Think Centre with an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU...64 bit Operating System...

I've got attached is a Seagate Expansion Desktop Drive 3 TB Model SRD00F2...

When I restart, the main computer doesn't want to reboot to my C drive...subsequently, I

have to manually turn off the main computer to uninstall the Seagate drive before I can

restart...or just uninstall the F drive (Seagate Expansion Drive) before I do a restart on my

main computer...

I've gone into the BIOS and changed the booting sequence...yet nada...and I can't find

anywhere how to alleviate this issue...

The reason I'm concerned about this is the safety factor...one of these days, I'm accidentally

going to pull the plug on the Seagate expansion drive and corrupt all my data...

Any ideas how to fix this little problem?

Thanks,

Rufus Sniff

Edited by Mr Rufus Sniff, 24 August 2015 - 07:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 05:29 AM

IMO...some older systems will not boot with external drives attached and in an "ON" state. 

Louis

#3 Mr Rufus Sniff

Mr Rufus Sniff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:11 PM

Hi Louis,

Thanks for the IMO...:)...so, when you say 'older stystems'...how many yrs are we talking about...?

Just curious...and thanks!

Rufus

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:19 PM

Well...I know that my AMD X2 systems did not boot in that situation and I presume that any board accommodating a dual-core system...might fall into that category.

A number of persons who had purchased external drives with no on/off switch seemed to have that problem.

Which made sense to me since I thought that the external drive being on...would throw off the system when it does its functional component check...and I believe a lot of the BIOSes then did not allow necessarily for USB boot devices.  So (I thought/think) when those boards come across something it can't account for...it's stumped.

Analogous to that...some systems won't boot if a failed device is attached.  That used to be my primary clue as to when I needed a new hard drive and it wasn't necessarily the drive reflecting Windows.

Louis

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:21 PM

Lenovo had issues with Think Servers not booting when a external USB drive was attached that was resolved with a BIOS update. You may want to check your support site and see if there was a BIOS update that fixed this issue.

#6 Mr Rufus Sniff

Mr Rufus Sniff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:37 PM

Thanks again Louis, appreciate the input...

Rufus

#7 Mr Rufus Sniff

Mr Rufus Sniff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:42 PM

John,

And thanks to you, much appreciated!

Rufus

#8 Mr Rufus Sniff

Mr Rufus Sniff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 05:05 PM

Louis and John,

Listen, I forgot to mention that when using a Seagate Expansion 500GB external, I don't have this issue...boots up fine...yet with the above mentioned external drive...Seagate Expansion Desktop Drive 3 TB...the issue persists...

And I can't imagine it's just the size difference...like I said...both the same manufacturer...yet one's 500GB and one's 3TB...

Any ideas?...

Rufus

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 05:15 PM

Well if a 3GB hard drive, the drive is most likely GPT as MBR will not detect anything past 2TB. That may have something to do with it if you do have a BIOS and not UEFI. Sometimes a GPT disk doesn't always play well with a standard BIOS.

You can confirm GPT by opening a command prompt with the 3TB attached and typing the following

diskpart

list disk

you should see a asterisk under the GPT heading for your 3TB drive.

#10 Mr Rufus Sniff

Mr Rufus Sniff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 05:32 PM

Thanks John,

I'll check into this...

Rufus

0 user(s) are reading this topic