Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 taskbar problem

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 LiNiLiKi

LiNiLiKi

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:38 PM

Taskbar won't autohide. I discovered a program icon in the system tray, that I can exit, and the taskbar will autohide. I uninstalled the program, but the icon keeps reappearing in the system tray, and the taskbar again won't hide. I ran CCleaner, and PC DeCrapifier, but the program in not listed, so I can't remove it. Upon computer restart, the Icon returns to the system tray, and the taskbar won't hide. The program Icon is not listed in the settings for the notifications. I'm can't find the solution to this issue.

Edited by LiNiLiKi, 24 August 2015 - 06:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:00 PM

Sounds like malware

Do you have malwarwbytes installed? if so scan it with that

#3 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:58 PM

I'll, also, say run Malwarebytes.  Just out of curiosity, can you provide a name & picture of this icon of which you speak?

#4 djkea

djkea

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 09 October 2015 - 04:18 AM

I too am unable to hide the taskbar in Windows 10.  Tried removing cortana but problem recurred (along with Cortana).  What to do ?  Hmmmm

#5 djkea

djkea

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 07:14 AM

I can not get my taskbar problem solved yet.  Any one else?

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,940 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 10 October 2015 - 09:59 AM

Please post a screen shot of the icon to which you refer.  Until/unless we have information on what program is running that would prevent the taskbar from autohiding it's difficult to do much more.

Are you positive that the "Auto-hide the taskbar" property is checked in taskbar properties?

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#7 djkea

djkea

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 01:30 PM

I just discovered my display resolution had been changed from native down to 1360 x 788.  Restored to native 1366 x 788.  Taskbar working properly.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,940 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 02:26 PM

Thanks for reporting back.  I wouldn't have thought that the screen resolution difference, particularly one of six pixels horizontal, would ever have made this behavior occur.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#9 djkea

djkea

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 03:35 PM

Thanks for reporting back.  I wouldn't have thought that the screen resolution difference, particularly one of six pixels horizontal, would ever have made this behavior 

I don't know what it has to do with the ops of taskbar but for now it has worked for a couple hours...

#10 djkea

djkea

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2015 - 07:09 PM

Well the issue has returned. The taskbar does hide when using Chrome browser but all other programs are stuck behind the taskbar.  I am so tired of having to move from left to right andf top to bottom depending on what i am doing,  This really bites.  Help!

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,940 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 08:31 AM

Have you thought about just not autohiding the taskbar at all for a while?

I have absolutely no problems with the taskbar when it remains docked at the bottom of the screen, which is where I like it.

Were I you I would definitely submit feedback to MS using the feedback app on this particular issue, as it appears to be a bug of some sort (perhaps only on certain hardware),

~ Mark Twain

#12 djkea

djkea

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:41 PM

Thanks Brian for your response.  I wouldn't be bothered by the taskbar presence except that it often precludes me from being able to click navigation and other items on the bottom of the page.  Often it obscures things I need to see.  I read another post asking if there was a way to keep the taskbar open yet have all other maximized windows remain so yet have them maximize only to the top of the taskbar area.  That would be the ideal solution.  I have tried to get help through the microsoft support pages but have yet to find a way to communicate directly with human.  All I get is the ridiculous automated system garbage.  I thought 10 was bringing better tech support but I have yet to find it.

Thanks again for your help sir.

#13 djkea

djkea

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2016 - 11:22 PM

Thanks Brian for your response.  I wouldn't be bothered by the taskbar presence except that it often precludes me from being able to click navigation and other items on the bottom of the page.  Often it obscures things I need to see.  I read another post asking if there was a way to keep the taskbar open yet have all other maximized windows remain so yet have them maximize only to the top of the taskbar area.  That would be the ideal solution.  I have tried to get help through the microsoft support pages but have yet to find a way to communicate directly with human.  All I get is the ridiculous automated system garbage.  I thought 10 was bringing better tech support but I have yet to find it.

Thanks again for your help sir.

Hello and thanks for posting this.  I am truly disgusted by this recurring problem.  I must have opened task manager and restarted windows explorer hundreds of times since Windows 10 came to be.  It's really special having to waste these moments of my life trying to get something so freaking basic to function properly.  You have to love the enhanced tech support microsoft promised huh?  I have yet to see any improvement in support either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users