Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermittent blackscreen crashes, even after clean reinstall

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dan_the_bloke

dan_the_bloke

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:36 PM

Hi there,

I was on Windows 7 - 64bit, and got the free upgrade to Windows 10 PRO at the same time as updating my graphics card (7870 to R9 390).

But at random intervals, without any prompting, the screen will just go black and the computer completely unresponsive. It varied in time between crashes, from a few hours, to up to 4 in an hour. I have to hard reset after every one.

I tried to use the windows reset function but got stuck on an inaccessible_boot_device error so I decided to do a clean install with a bootable DVD today, but the issue has returned already, with three in the last hour.

I can't spot anything in the event viewer that happens just before the crashes and it can crash when I'm not actively using the computer.

Ive run error checking on my SSD, and that came out fine. I have all of the latest GPU and chipset drivers. I ran memtest for 8 hours with no errors. The Crucial SMART tools report my SSD is in good health.

SFC /scannow gives:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
supported in offline servicing scenarios.

Running DISM.exe scanhealth gives:

The component store is repairable.
The operation completed successfully.

Then Restorehealth gives:

Error: 0x800f081f
The source files could not be found.
Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077

Im just completely lost as to what to do next because unlike bluescreens, it doesnt leave any sort of dump or error other than "the previous shutdown was unexpected".

Any help at all would be really really appreciated.

Thanks

Specs:

Intel i5-4670k

ASUS Z97-A

MSI R9 390

8GB Corsair RAM

Enermax Triathlor 750W PSU

120GB Crucial SSD (boot drive)

2TB Seagate HDD (storage)

Edited by dan_the_bloke, 24 August 2015 - 06:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:30 PM

G'day dan_the_bloke, and Welcome to BC

https://community.amd.com/thread/183430

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 dan_the_bloke

dan_the_bloke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 03:37 AM

G'day dan_the_bloke, and Welcome to BC

https://community.amd.com/thread/183430

Hi Condobloke,

I see, I wasn't aware of that issue.

I managed to play through all of Metro Redux and most of Metro Last Light without any issues since I got the card.

They all seem to be having a problem in games, whereas my issues have only happened on the desktop and don't leave any driver errors.

If it did only happen in games, it wouldnt be as huge of a problem as it is because I lose all my current data when it happens, and it doesn't give any warning when it is going to.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 06:31 PM

If this issue continues...please start a fresh topic in   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/233/windows-crashes-bsod-and-hangs-help-and-support/

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users