Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Upgrade Dual boot Linux system to Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,389 posts
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 04:32 PM

Courtesy of Howtogeek:

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 03:58 AM

Ya gotta love those geeks.

Thanks pcpunk

:wizardball: Wizard

#3 cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,955 posts
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 29 August 2015 - 06:02 AM

The Catch-22 is that the Linux bootloader may be overwritten, unless that install is on a separate drive & unplugged, and will need to be fixed post-upgrade to Windows 10. 

So it may be best to include some repair suggestions in the Topic. At a minimum sudo update-grub will be needed after upgrade, that is, if the Windows 10 upgrade doesn't bork the Linux bootloader. It's been a month since 10's release & some are having issues already. 

I've had to revert to my Windows 7 installs on 3 PC's so far, only one runs good enough to keep it, as well as a virtual machine running 10 Pro in Linux Mint. Windows 10 slowed them all down, AV/AM scans doubled in time, short SuperAntiSpyware scans that were taking between 18-25 seconds to run were taking up to 2 minutes, this is just totally unacceptable. On a HDD, I could see this, but on SSD's with 500MB/sec reads & writes, I can't. Windows 10, like 8.1 before it, is not a one size fits all, but rather hit or miss. 

And if it misses bad enough, surely the Linux bootloader will be gone. I've seen this personally on one machine, fortunately I have the Linux Boot Repair Disk on CD, yet that won't fix the broken Windows 10 OS. A lot of Linux users doesn't have this. 

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users