Jump to content
Posted 24 August 2015 - 01:55 PM
Posted 24 August 2015 - 04:46 PM
indicator also showed "plugged in, not charging
That is typical of a battery that lost its ability to recharge and must be replaced (as you already know) so that is the greater possibility.
I tried to turn on the computer And nothing.
I assume that the battery was still in the laptop and it was also plugged in to the wall socket.
This is where is gets "iffy". Usually a lap will still function with a dead battery if still plugged in to the wall socket, but yours does not. It may be that your particular lap must have a live battery, even if weak, to function (admittedly this would be unusual). OR the mainboard may have failed, not unusual for an older laptop, and HP is not noted for its high standards of manufacture.
So this is a toss of the coin. You can purchase a new battery and hope that is the problem. If it is, you have your lap back again. If it is not, you are out the money and the lap failed.
The only other suggestion may be to beg or borrow another wall adapter that has the same voltages (and hopefully the jack will be the same, they are pretty standard) and plug it in just to verify that the wall adapter itself didn't fail, although that is a long shot.
Wish I could be of more help, but laptops by their nature are difficult to diagnose and repair.
Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.
Posted 30 August 2015 - 05:23 PM
Update: So I got a new battery, popped it in, and plugged in the AC cable. I let it sit for about ten minutes, and then saw that the charging light indicator was on by the AC input on the computer. I tried turning the computer on and it booted up fully. I shut it down again, as I had to leave for work. Returning about ten hours later, I turned the computer on, saw that it was fully charged, removed the AC cord. I used the computer for about 10 minutes, and saw that it was now down to 13% charge. I plugged it in again, and again was told "Plugged in, Not charging". I turned it off. A family member subsequently turned it on when I wasn't around and let the entire battery run out again.
Does this help with diagnosis at all?
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users