Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with windows 10 log in

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KJRose

KJRose

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 01:52 PM

Now I have no idea how to repair this, but my sign on screen is defaulted to a Username that I do not use as I am hooked up to MS on my home computer,

The Defaulted log on is no where on the computer, not in users or anywhere so apparently it is picking it up from somewhere else,,

It is Username: Kathryn

Password: which I do not know since I did not install this ID

The other ID is:

yadayada fake name here @outlook.com

Password > I use a Pin #

I want to remove the Kathryn ID since I do not know it,  hat is my name however so I know it is somewhere,

Thank you,

KJRose

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 02:08 PM

Hi KJ:

Sorry to hear of your problem.  Please provide Make/Model of the computer you are having this problem with.

Also, did this computer come with Win10 pre-installed on it from the Factory (out of the Box) or did you upgrade it recently (>July 29th) from an older version of Windows such as Win8 or Win7?

If it was a brand new Computer, then YOU typed in the Kathryn ID at some point after you unpacked the computer out of it's box and turned it on.

If you did not Register using an E-mail you already had previously, or signed up for a new Microsoft Live ID account (the default method is to use the Microsoft account), that means you created a LOCAL account, and that can cause problems if the name is not one of your previous existing E-mail accounts, for example: samsmith@yahoo.com

This can be very confusing to home users, as they don't understand that if you sign up with a LOCAL account, and not a Microsoft Account or a Microsoft linked account, you don't get access to many Microsoft services in Win10 such as Edge, Cortana, and the Microsoft App Store!!

Post back what you have and I'll try to help you sort through it. 

Best,

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

#3 KJRose

KJRose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 02:19 PM

Ok  ..This is an Asus U52F laptop and it was preinstalled with windows 7. I installed the update to windows 10 via the widget on my computer ...

I really do not mind using my MS account this is a home computer. I am thinking that the ID is burried in my windows 7 somewhere, I am probably wrong, Unlike a lot of complaintive users, I happen to like win10. I just make my charm bar or whatever you want to call it custom without the bothersome annoyances, It is just annoying that the ID is the default and I have to switch all the time,, I guess I am spoiled 

#4 KJRose

KJRose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:59 PM

I do not know why if I click properties on something then security it shows both ID's 

My outlook address and then this:

Administrators (Username \Administrator   How caan I remove one of them for good

To be honest by using netplwiz I found a guest account that is connected to the effected divice that is coming up and not being used. So .. I tried to remove it and no.. and I cannot remove my microsoft account either ,, so I am just stuck and will probably do a reinstall.. then to configure it I wonder if I will not just go back to my trusty windows7

Edited by KJRose, 27 August 2015 - 12:32 PM.

#5 BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:58 AM

Hi KJ;

Just getting back in town, was gone last week.  Thanks for the info on your laptop.  It sounds like it did pick up an additional User ID; like I said you added it at some point in your original laptop Win7 install that came from the factory.  Many folks add Users temporarily and then never use them again.  However, in Win7, if you had added an additional User it would show up on the Windows Logon screen when you first turn the laptop on. This is most likely where Win10 picked it up from.  Many of my Customers add a friend or a family member to their Win7 setup, if they are staying temporarily in the household, or loan the entire laptop to a friend of family member.  What happens there, is that Customers will change the Security setting from "STANDARD" to "ADMINISTRATOR", and the person who got your laptop on loan or was using it may have tried to delete your Account (who knows why!), and scrambled your User Profile. 

If this didn't happen then the next most likely cause was that YOU added a User temporarily, from visiting friend or family member staying with you or whom you loaned the laptop to, and when they left your home or returned the laptop to you, you then attempted to delete that User name or User Account and may have forgotten about it.  I mentioned this above, but you didn't respond about that so I am left to guess.  But, I've seen this done many times before. 

So you know, your attempts at removing the GUEST and ADMINISTRATOR accounts are not possible, as those are default accounts that are built into Windows (all versions) and can never be deleted; even with your Owner or Administrator permissions!

If the case that you put in that additional account into Windows or a friend/family member did so, and it's stuck there, and Win10 picked it up--I agree with your diagnosis that the best way to get rid of it is to reinstall your Win7 from factory Recovery Discs or Recovery Partition on the hard drive.  Prior to doing this, I urge you to BACKUP ANY AND ALL PERSONAL DATA TO EXTERNAL MEDIA SUCH AS DOCUMENTS, PHOTOS, MUSIC, VIDEOS, AND EMAILS!!!

Upon doing this you will only have 2 User accounts (the Windows defaults); your signon name (say KATHRYN) which will automatically be an Administrator account and the Guest account mentioned above.  Neither of these User accounts can ever be deleted.  When you get the Win10 gadget after your reinstall, which may take several days to show up again, run the upgrade, and you should only have those 2 accounts in your Win10.  This most likely will fix your problem.

So you know, there is a way to repair your corrupted User Profile, but it hasn't been tested in Win10 yet, but did work on Win7/8/8.1, and that involves copying over all the info in your existing User Profile to a new copy and then attempting repairs with tools like CCleaner or Registry Mechanic.  However, I don't recommend these tools for novices--they require expert User only.  If you wanted to, you could take your laptop to your local Computer Pro, and if he's competent with these tools he might be able to fix your existing User Profile in Win10.  No guarantees however, and it's going to cost you money.  I recommend if you have more time than money available to go with the already discussed Win7 reinstall-->Win10 upgrade method which you can probably do yourself.

Let us know how it turns out.

<<<BBJ>>>

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:35 AM

If I undestand this correctly

Kathryn is your default log on. The problem is you do not know the password and it isn't listed in your user account

You would like to remove Kathryn

So you have to switch to your other ID and use a Pin# as the password

My question is: was this happening on Windows 7?

OK one thing you can do is access Command Prompt as admin

Type in net user administartor /active:yes

This will allow you to select the hidden administrator account in which you can see what your user accounts are and Kathryn should be in there

By selecting the Administrator account you should be able to select Manage another account or something like that

Select Kathryn and you will be able to delete its password and then enter a new password you will remember

Do not consider getting rid of Kathryn yet

When you reboot Kathryn will be accessible with your new password

--- Those instructions are not exact but just follow what makes sense

Once you know that Kathryn and your other user ID are working ok you can go back and hide the Administrator account by using

net user administartor /active:yes in Command Prompt as admin

There's more to be said afterward depending on what you will want to do

Finally keep in mind you should be able to revert Windows 10 back to Windows 7 within 30 days of the upgrade to Windows 10

--- There are some situations it doesn't work that way but we won't know unless you try it as it depends on how the upgradeto Windows 10 was performed

So if things get out of hand somehow consider doing that

You can always get back to Windows 10 again

#7 KJRose

KJRose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 12:02 PM

Thank  you very much I have work to do today hehehe    but it is annoying, I just wish my computer booted up like it did before.. without an ID and just on windows with access to everything .. I will get busy ,, see you soon

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 07:35 AM

I just noticed some important typo's in my post #6

net user administartor /active:yes needs to be net user administrator /active:yes 

net user administartor /active:no needs to be net user administrator /active:no

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users