Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

During Windows 10 update, computer bricked

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Escaper2

Escaper2

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 09:51 AM

Hello all,

I have a Lenovo y50 computer, not even a year old, that used to be running windows 8.1. I started my Windows 10 update today, but when it was 20% complete my computer just blacked out.

Pressing the power button does nothing now, and plugging it in doesn't turn on the lights. Anyone know what the problem is and what I can do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Escaper2

Escaper2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 09:56 AM

New update: my charger is also making a beeping noise now.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:42 AM

Try to power cycle the computer. Remove the battery and charger. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach the charger but do not replace the battery. Press the power button.

#4 Escaper2

Escaper2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:56 AM

Power cycle? It's a computer where the battery is not easily removable. The back of the computer is screwed in.

#5 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 11:21 AM

Hello all,

I have a Lenovo y50 computer, not even a year old, that used to be running windows 8.1. I started my Windows 10 update today, but when it was 20% complete my computer just blacked out.

Pressing the power button does nothing now, and plugging it in doesn't turn on the lights. Anyone know what the problem is and what I can do?

Well If it's less then a year it is covered under the manufacturers warranty so I would call them.

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 11:59 AM

Power cycle? It's a computer where the battery is not easily removable. The back of the computer is screwed in.

In that case, you unplug the power cable from the computer, press on the Power Button for 30 seconds (hold it in), and after that, plug back the power and boot it up again.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 01:13 PM

You might have been affected by dodgy nvidia display drivers supplied by Microsoft and included in the upgrade.

I see that model of laptop has an HDMI port (as well as a nvidia display chipset). Try attaching it to a television, and see if you can use that as a temporary display to get the upgrade to complete. (If the TV fails try attaching other external displays if you are able). I have resurrected one similar failing upgrade using the HDMI trick.

If you manage to get the upgrade to complete, then go to the nvidia website, download and install the nvidia drivers for your display adapter.

x64

#8 BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 02:16 PM

Hopefully, you have BACKED UP ALL YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION (such as Documents, photos, music, videos, Emails, etc.) TO EXTERNAL MEDIA BEFORE YOU ATTEMPTED THE WIN10 UPGRADE!!

Reason I mention this, if it is the battery or a chipset/video driver and the suggestions above do NOT work; you could lose all information you previously had on that laptop. :smash:   Troubleshooting new Windows upgrade failures are not for the inexperienced.  If you HAVEN'T done the above Backup I mention, you should stop what you're doing and take your lapotp back to where you bought it (unless you got it online) and have them attempt a data recovery before you lose that information for good! 

If you bought the laptop online, take it to a licensed Computer Pro such as at Best Buy-Geek Squad or Micro Center and pay to have them do it.  Usually, during this process they can also provide you with an estimate for the Win10 upgrade. 

Best of luck,

<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>>

Edited by BIGBEARJEDI, 24 August 2015 - 02:17 PM.

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:54 PM

And...if you are actually blessed enough to get it to win X.....then use the instructions HERE   to ensure that no changes are made to the drivers by msft's intrusiveness .

You will need those instructions sooner or later.

Keep the email that contains this topic.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users